Jambands.ca

Rdio to shut down service, file for bankruptcy.

Esau.

I know there used to be a few folks on here that used Rdio so thought it may be of interest.

Pandora to Acquire Key Assets from Rdio

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151116006169/en/

http://press.pandora.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251764&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2112860

“We are defining the next chapter of Pandora’s growth story,” continued McAndrews. “Adding live music experiences through Ticketfly was a transformative step. Adding Rdio’s impressive technology and talented people will fast-track new dimensions and enhancements to our service. I couldn’t be more optimistic about Pandora’s future and the future of music.”

“The Rdio team built an acclaimed product and technology platform that has consistently led innovation in the young streaming industry. I'm pleased that many members of the Rdio team will continue to shape the future of streaming music, applying our tradition of great design and innovative engineering on an even larger stage with Pandora,” said Anthony Bay, chief executive officer of Rdio.

The transaction is contingent upon Rdio seeking protection in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California. Upon approval of the proposed transaction by the bankruptcy court, Rdio will be winding down the Rdio-branded service in all markets. Pandora is not acquiring the operating business of Rdio, and is acquiring the technology and talent to accelerate its own business strategy. The transaction is subject to the approval of the Bankruptcy Court, which will supervise an auction for the assets of Rdio, as well as other customary closing conditions.

Apple kind of took over for people that use their products. Sometimes it does some weird things though. I've had the Apple cloud service for a while, where it uploaded the stuff I had, that they didn't have, mainly live music I have collected. Now, sometimes when I'm listening to Apple Music it will play something from the stuff I uploaded instead of the actual studio versions.

I liked Rdio, I still use it occasionally but let my subscription go after Apple Music came out.