Jambands.ca

Name this person

weezy

b. Paul Gadd, 8 May 1940, Banbury, Oxfordshire, England. The elder statesman of the '70s UK glam rock scene, Glitter began his career in a skiffle group, Paul Russell And The Rebels. He then became Paul Raven, under which name he recorded an unsuccessful debut for Decca Records, Alone In The Night. His cover of Tower Of Strength lost out to Frankie Vaughan's UK chart-topper, after which he spent increasingly long periods abroad, particularly in Germany. During the late '60s, having been signed to MCA Records by his former orchestral backing leader and now MCA head Mike Leander, he attempted to revitalize his career under the names Paul Raven and Monday, the latter of which was used for a version of the Beatles’ Here Comes The Sun, which flopped. Seemingly in the autumn of his career, he relaunched himself as Gary Glitter, complete with thigh high boots and a silver costume. His debut for Bell Records, ‘Rock N Roll Part 2’ unexpectedly reached number 2 in the UK and climbed into the US Top 10. Although he failed to establish himself in America, his career in the UK traversed the early '70s, stretching up until the punk explosion of 1977. Among his many UK Top 10 hits were three number 1 singles: I'm The Leader Of The Gang (I Am), I Love You Love Me Love and Always Yours. An accidental drug overdose and bankruptcy each threatened to end his career, but he survived and continues to play regular concerts in the UK. In recent years the now-sober figure of Glitter is courted favourably by the media and is now a minor legend.

----------

Yeah... and THEN what happened?

Guest Low Roller

Looks like the love-child of David Hasslehoff and Elizabeth Taylor broke into Michael Jackson's closet again...

quote:

Originally posted by backbacon:

In recent years the now-sober figure of Glitter is courted favourably by the media and is now a minor legend

Well.........not quite. That's funny you should mention Michael Jackson, LR, because it appears they have a lot in common...

CLICK HERE