Jambands.ca

whoa Beau

doubleB

Holly crap... how good was Beau?

What a great show! Both of those bands rocked hard, I'm not sure which was better, they were both fantastic!

The Beau Dixon band was basicaly King Cordova with a 3 piece horn section and a whole lotta Beau. I think Beau has one of the best voices around, very soulfull, you can almost tell he was born in Detroit.... His lyrics "I'm back in school but all my friends are rockstars" was something that I could relate to.

The formula consisted of the same horn section, Beau on keys and a different drummer,bass and guitar player. They were equally as tight and daceable. Mike Hopkins is a great guitar player and this band grooved everyone out well past last call.

Try and check out The Formula, Beau Dixon or King Cordrova anywhere you can, you will not be dissappointed.

Nice to see so many Skanks last night. Even Indica made it out!! Thanks to Grum and Indica for the afterparty, and thanks to BradM for helping out at the door.....good fun again boys..

Highlight of the night

This realy hot hippy girl comes into the club and notices the DOY poster I had on the table, the gushes and tells me how much she loves DOY and that she is thrilled to see they are still playing. "cool" I replied, "no you don't understand, I LOVE DOY" she says.... She preceeds to turn around and bend over, she pulls up her shirt and reveals a very nice tatto on her ass. One of those funky tailbone sun tattoo's but instead of the sun in the middle it was a DOY logo... now that is HARD core! 8 of the 10 DOY posters I had were stolen.... I will take that as a good sign

Quote of the night

"I'm one happy camper... no wait check that.... I'm one happy non-camper"

BradM

Damnit, I was just getting out of the car from Montreal Jazzfest when who do I see but Grum and Indika marching up Somerset (Indika with beer in hand).

I tell them Ill see them in the bar in half an hour and head into my house to drop off my shit.

I made the fatal error of stopping for a small puff on the couch and just couldnt get my ass back up (I think the nero K-town trip caught up up with me). I sat on the couch thinking "just get up, you can do it" alas I could not.

Glad it went well though.

PS Tambla Beat Science at the Montreal Jazzfest was unbelievable. If theres a Toronto show for these guys do not miss it.

Man, that was fun*.

The Beau Dixon soundcheck alone was $6 worth of music. The Beau Dixon Band sort of sounded like something midway between James Brown and Jamiroquai (sp?). The horn section was amazing. I think at least one or two of them were picked up just for this show, and they all were reading from charts (I heard one of them compliment Beau on the quality of the charts, which is another thing to admire about him). They worked in a sort of Stax-Volt / Tower of Power way: filling in (and out) the sound, adding just enough contrast and spice, and some really tasty solos.

The Formula kept up the fun; seeing as half of the band was also in the BDB, the sound didn't change much; the guitar came across a bit more prominently, maybe, but they kept the funk alive. (A set-blender with The Formula and Jomomma would be a blast.)

Thanks to Harpua and Indica for the after-party and couch space.

Aloha,

Brad

* Well, 2/3 of it was fun; having Nuginduck opening that show was a serious impedance mismatch. They're not bad (two acoustic guitars, folky/singer-songwriter songs/lyrics), but funky and fun they were not.