Jambands.ca

Ottawa Free Music Fest : We Have a Date!

Rob Not Bob

Yet another update ....

I've spoken with Big Dave, our sound guy for the event, and he's going to be there to set stuff up between noon and 1. I suggest folks start showing up (if they can) at the same time ... get unloaded, settled in, mingle :) He's going to be providing the PA, some mics and the communal drum kit, he has just asked that folks provide their own guitars and amps (which I figure people were going to do anyhow :) ) I'd also ask folks to provide their own mics as well ... also if some kind soul might be able to provide an emergency backup drum kit, just in case of problems, please let me know if you can help me out.

If anyone has a preferred time slot, also please let me know ... some folks might want to have their formal set earlier in the day so they can relax and dedicate their time for drinking :) Some might have to work and not be able to make it until the late afternoon or until the evening. Please notify me if you have any time requirements, because I am trying to juggle a bunch of acts here. I know we can play all day, all night and into the next day, but I'm not sure if anyone wants to wait until the coveted 3-4 AM slot for their band to go on the first time ;)

If anyone has any questions, contact me at rainmakerrtv@rogers.com . If you want to offer suggestions or help, also contact me, because I am in waaaaaaaaayyyy over my head ...

RnB

Gang,

I want to thank everyone for their enthusiasm and support for this event so far ... it really has been overwhelming how much people have been interested. I kind of hate to say this, but I think I am about to close the books on adding new bands for the event, at least for the time being. We've got a lot of people interested and I want to give everybody a fair opportunity to play a set without as I say giving them the highly coveted 3-4 AM spot :) While we do have free reign to play all day, all night and into the next day, I am trying to fit the formal sets for bands into the Saturday day/evening time, starting at somewhere between noon and one, and that only leaves us so many hours (If anyone is *actively seeking* the 3-4AM slot, hey, let me know, I will try to accomodate you :) ) If you are somebody who wants to play a short acoustic set as an individual or duo, there is still room. If you just want to come and bring your instrument and jam it free form, come on down! If you are in a band and want to play a set and are *not* on the list below, please contact me at rainmakerrtv@rogers.com and I will put you on the list, but try to do so by the end of the weekend. If you have spoken to or messaged me about playing and are still not on the list, please remind me because I have probably spaced on it ... we do want you to play, I am just not ready to swear that I haven't made any mistakes with the list :). As the weeks go on I am sure some folks are going to end up being taken off the list because it will turn out they can't make it (hey, it happens), and I can probably fit new acts on if they are interested. Here is the list of people I have spoken with so far :

Inept

An as yet unnamed band that are friends of Cheryl's

Butterflies & Zebras

No Buds For Bob

Real Gone Daddies

Uncle Seth

Jim Bryson

Hux

The Music Never Stopped

Colleen Schingh with Steve D'Annunzio and Andy Daly

Pootie Tang

The Naked I

Sanzwill

While we are at it ...

The keyboard player from Sanzwill (sorry, I don't know your name) e-mailed me about being interested in coming up and playing ... unfortunately, for some reason it gives me an error when I try to reply so I am answering here. We would love to have you guys play if you are interested in making the trek out ... let me know what questions you have.

Once again for everyone , here are the details :

When : Saturday, July 24th to Sunday the 25th,

hopefully starting between noon and 1 and then goingpretty much all day and all night and into the next day

Where : 3187 Eagleson Road, Richmond ... just go south on the Eagleson exit

from the Queensway (Hwy 417) and keep on going until you go past richmond, it is on

the left

What : a free music fest/jamboree/what have you, working on a budget that is as I say somewhere between "Pass the hat" and "Oh sweet nothin'". All participation is strictly voluntary ... we have a stage, we have portapotties, we are working on a PA system and drum kit, there is lots of

room for parking and for camping, in fact camping is encouraged. The Pagan Picnic was held there last year, the folks who played there can testify to what a cool site and a great vibe it is (bradm, Hux, Pootie Tang, B&Z). Vending is encouraged, if you want to set up a tent or table and sell crafts, clothes, what have you. We are still working out the details as I haven't done anything like this before. What I am basically looking to do is a huge party for the Ottawa music scene (and anyone else who wants to come out :) ) , basically a widescreen version of the old 40 Main Jams Back At The House, except with more room, camping, and no neighbours to complain or call the cops :)

Here is a recommended list of things to bring/do for everyone who comes out, whether it is to play a set, jam, or just hang out and enjoy :

Bring water, food and other beverages

Bring sunblock, sunglasses, hats for the sun and bug spray

Bring a long sleeved shirt for the evening ... it can be way hot in the day time and very cool at night

Bring something to sit on

If you are going to camp, bring a tent and sleeping bag ... sounds obvious, I know

If you are in a band playing a set, I reccommend bringing your own road crew if you think you are going to need one, even if it is only one guy

If you want to jam with other folks, bring a song list if you have one ... it will be a big help if folks want to network with other musicians and jam on songs you all know

It might not prove neccessary, but please bring your own mics if you have them, just in case

We are hoping to have vending, possibly even raffles and silent auctions, so you will want to bring some cash

We are collecting non-perishable food items for the Ottawa Food Bank ... while not mandatory, all donations are very much appreciated

Smile, Damn It! ::

DamStageJulie.jpg

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, although the answer may be "We don't know yet". If you can think of any way to run this better or have any suggestions at all, please feel free to make them because, as I say ... I have no idea what I am doing. It's going to be kind of sloppy, it's going to be kind of disorganized, it's going to be fun fun fun!!!! ::

Cheers,

RnB

Hey R'n B, looks great! One thing, Norm and I have to go on after dark because of the artwork.

Steve

I was actually thinking of having you guys be one of the last bands to go on (that is , as a band, not counting late night jamming) ... although I don't have a particular time in mind. Is that cool with you?

RnB

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

We are less than 4 weeks away and things are looking amazing. I just want to once again ask if anyone has a preferred time slot, to let me know, so we can keep things from being complete chaos on the day of the event :) Thus far we have No Buds For Bob at 7, Inept at 8, and Butterflies and Zebras closing out the band sets at midnight. That means we have the following acts still without a set time slot :

Jordan

Real Gone Daddies

Uncle Seth

Jim Bryson

Geoff Smith from Dr. Huxtable

The Music Never Stopped

Colleen Schingh with Steve D'Annunzio and Andy Daly

Jay Pottie from Comfort Station

Naked I

Now, I know some of you have certain time slot requirements ... for example, Uncle Seth can't go on too early because they are coming in from Toronto. Naked I, on the other hand, would prefer to play during the day as they are an acoustic band. I'd personally like to have the acoustic acts (Naked I, Jim Bryson, Geoff Smith, Jay Pottie, Colleen and crew) play during the day and have the electric bands during the evening, but whatever works best for everyone is fine with me. If you have a preferred time slot, start the bidding now :)

Hoping to see lots of folks out there,

RnB

Just a couple more updates :

1) We've had our first drop outs from the schedule. Due to scheduling conflicts, both Jim Bryson and Coleen Schingh will be unable to make it. A pity, as I really enjoy Jim's music, and not only is Coleen a wonderful singer in her own right but she plays with two amazing guitarists, Steve D'Anunzio and Andy Daly ... I know everyone who played at the Pagan Picnic last year enjoyed sharing the stage with Steve and Andy. It looks like the day is pretty open for acoustic acts and open stage jamming, so if there is anybody out there who would like to kick in a short acoustic set, don't be shy.

2) Uncle Seth was wondering if anybody who was playing that day would be able to let them use their bass amp ... they are coming in from Toronto and it would be one less huge thing to bring down.

I'll keep everyone updated,

RnB

We have two new things to announce.

1) We have a website! Mr. Musicface from Uncle Seth put together a web site for us, thanks a lot for the good work, here it is ...

Ottawa Free Music Fest website

2) We have a schedule! Subject to potential revision, of course, here is our working schedule for acts.

noon-6:00PM a mix of acoustic acts (Jay from Comfort Station, Geoff from

Dr. Huxtable, Naked I) and open stage jamming

6:00-6:45 The Music Never Stopped

7:00-7:45 No Buds For Bob

8:00-8:45 Inept

9:00-9:45 Jordan

10:00-10:45 Real Gone Daddies

11:00-11:45 Uncle Seth

12:00-12:45 Butterflies & Zebras

12:45-? open jamming on into the night

If anyone wants to chip in an acoustic set, let me know, we still have plenty of room ... and bring along your instruments, because we hope to have lots of jamming during the day.

Take care,

RnB

And another couple of bits of news ... first off, Naked I are now officially scheduled to go on at 3:30, which means we finally have our complete schedule in place. Furthermore, I will be on CKCU FM on Dave Faught's show to promo the Fest on Sunday at around 11 PM. You can listen to it on your dial at 93.1 FM, or hook up on your computer at the following link :

CKCU FM

I'm really excited about this event.

Cheers,

RnB