Jambands.ca

Clapton Guitar Breaks Auction Record

TimmyB

from www.billboard.com

"A favorite guitar of Eric Clapton's fetched $959,500 at auction yesterday at Christie's in New York, easily eclipsing the record set by the sale of another guitar by the legendary rock musician five years ago.

The Fender Stratocaster, nicknamed "Blackie," was one of 88 guitars and other items Clapton and other musicians donated to raise money for Crossroads Center Antigua, a drug and alcohol rehabilitation cener in the West Indies. The auction brought in a total of $7,438,624. A 1999 Christie's sale to benefit the facility generated $5 million."

I can't believe Clapton sold "Blackie". I remember in a Clapton biography by Ray Coleman Clapton talked about a sesion with Stephen Bishop. What happened was Bishop was in the recording room with "Blackie" and picked it up and started to play it in Clapton's opinion badly. Eric had to run into the room and stop Stephen from playing his precious guitar. I sure hope the person that won it in the auction is a good player because if they pick it up and don't do the instrument justice, Clapton just might run in and stop them too.

Don't forget the EC is performing at the Air Canada Centre on Wednesday July 7th and at the HSBC Arena on Friday July 9th. With Robert Randolph And The Family Band opening.