Jambands.ca

Are you a U.S. Citizen?

AdamH

I've been trying for months to get a straight answer on whether U.S. Citizens born abroad can vote in the U.S. Election. I'm pleased to say that, in fact, we can vote. It requires a few trips to the U.S. Embassy but if you've got the power to do it you might as well.

Here's some information from the Federal Voter Assistance Program(www.fvap.gov):

OVERSEAS CITIZENS

If I do not maintain a legal residence in the U.S., what is my "legal state of residence?"

Your "legal state of residence" for voting purposes is the state or territory where you last resided immediately prior to your departure from the United States. This right extends to overseas citizens even though they may not have property or other ties in their last state or territory of residence and their intent to return to that state or territory may be uncertain. When completing the residence section of the FPCA, be sure to enter the entire mailing address of your last residence, including street or rural route and number. This information is necessary to place you in the proper voting district, ward, precinct or parish. Family members of citizens residing overseas, who are U.S. citizens and who have never resided in the U.S., usually, if the state allows, claim one of their U.S. citizen parent's legal state or territory of residence as their own. Check Chapter 3 of the Guide.

Will I be taxed by my last state or territory of residence if I vote absentee?

Exercising your right to vote in elections for Federal offices only, does not affect the determination of residence or domicile for purposes of any tax imposed under Federal, state, or local law. Voting in an election for Federal office only, may not be used as the sole basis to determine residency for the purpose of imposing state and local taxes. If you claim a particular state or territory as your residence and have other ties with that state or territory in addition to voting, then you may be liable for state and local taxation, depending upon the laws of that particular state or territory. Consult the Guide or a legal advisor for information on probable tax obligations.

Can I register or vote in person at the embassy or consulate?

At the present time, there are no provisions for in-person voting or on-site registration to be conducted at U.S. embassies or consulates. U.S. embassy and consular officials will assist U.S. citizens in completing FPCA forms for their state, witness or notarize FPCA forms and ballots (if required), and provide other absentee voting information. U.S. embassy and consulate locations serve also as a mailing point where FPCA forms and other election materials may be mailed back, postage paid, to your local voting jurisdiction in the U.S. where absentee registration and ballot requests are processed.

I'm first generation Canadian born to Americans.. and I've been flip flopping as to whether or not I want my American citizenship..

advantage: easier to travel to and from the US, easier to do gigs stateside

disadvantage: well.. none really, since I'm too old for the draft.. it's just kinda a moral thing.. I'm not a fan of how the government is set up in the US and many of the decisions made by it (whether it be Democrat or Republican in power)

but it's interesting to learn that citizens living abroad can vote.. I should tell my folks.. they would love to see Dubya get out

There's way more advantages I think, if you can set aside the current regime. As a citizen you can vote. You can go to a school in the states and pay far less than you would as an international student. You can also work in the States if you ever had the desire to....

It adds more options but it's a hell of alot of work getting all the paperwork and notarization and everything. And if you have moral or ethical dilemmas with U.S. policies then don't bother I guess.

yeah.. I know about the working and schooling and such.. and part of me wants it because that's where my recent family is from and I have a lot of family all over the US. I'm certainly not ashamed of having an American family regardless of who is holding the power there.

I do know that I'll never live in the US though, at least I'll never live there until the impliment a decent national health care system. I feel they are denying a basic human right but not providing responsible universal health care.

And yeah.. I know that the way things are currently going in Canada we will soon no longer have decent health care here either.. then maybe I'll move to Northern Europe :)

anyway.. I'm currently in no hurry.. I've gone this long without US citizenship.. and I doubt I'll be able to get it in time to vote in November.. but it's good to know that my folks can at least vote :)