Jambands.ca

Easy 2 Slip, yo

weezy

What the...

I had MuchMusic on and the latest "Solitaire" video came on - called Easy 2 Slip. The Easy to Slip with lame-ass R&B rhyming over top. Instead of Bobby's voice in the sample it was some chick singing.

He must have read Dr. Hux's review of Heaven Help The Fool.

Surreal. Very surreal.

I happen to like that track. It's not really new; I think it's been out at least a year now.

If you listen to the lyrics it's not just another lame-ass hip-hop song. And it's not a Weir song; it's Little Feat. Ratdog etc.. covered it, same as Solitair. At least Solitair put something new into it. I think Bobby's version is the lame one. The fact that Solitair even sampled Little Feat should tell you something...

Give it another shot. You might be suprised.

ad

Riiiiiight. I knew it wasn't Bobby's - I couldn't remember who was the original - Little Feat! of course. Thanks for the clarification.

However, I heard nothing original or fresh about the track. Having good lyrics doesn't make it good IMHO - He should publish a book and call himself a poet - then maybe I could respect him as an artist. It's just another rapper ripping off musicians and calling it their own. LEARN A FRIKKEN INSTRUMENT IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MUSIC!

Sorry for the rant, but I was just reminded about this time I was listening to the radio and there was a contest where you had to guess the name of the song after hearing just a few seconds of it. The song was clearly 'Kashmir' by Led Zeppelin. The fucking stupid contestant guessed "Come with me" - the pathetic re-make by Puff Doody and the traitor Jimmy Page (why Jimmy, why?!) - which was really Kashmir with Puff Dicky doing his LAME-ASS rapping over top. That kid actually thought Poof Diddly wrote the song! *shudder* There is something very wrong with that. IMO...

Slam poetry, hip-hop, rap... Who says you need an instrument to make music? Maybe he does play instruments... I don't know enough about Solitair to make judgements like that.

Producing music is just as tough (if not tougher) than playing music.

I don't know. I like a lot of stuff that 'musicians' didn't create. DJ Shadow only plays drums, but he's the shit. Kraftwerk had some computers lying around. DJ Logic is wicked, but I've never heard him 'play' anything.

If I close my eyes and it sounds good, I dig it. I don't need to open them and see who's playing what.

I'd rather hear somebody take a sample and make something totally different and new than hear a straight cover version of the song. There's nothing bold or innovative in that.

ad

Archived