Jambands.ca

The Demons in Ottawa last night

thatpatguy

well.. I may have missed Jon Spencer but for me it was worth it. The Demons are the reason why I play sax and I've only missed a couple of their Ottawa shows since 1988 when I started seeing them live.

Lets see.. the guy I was supposed to go with bailed on me so I went down there by myself, but right when I was walking in to the grounds I ran into Richard, the drummer for The Crowd so we hung out together.

We got there about 45 minutes or so early, which might have been a mistake. About five minutes after we arrived and found a spot to hang out in front of the stage it started to dump rain. It was brutal. We both got soaked to the bones.

After a couple of minutes of trying to figure out what to do we went over to the "gold pass holder" tent and just walked in. Nobody stopped us, which was nice, and we were able to get a beer and have a seat and get out of the rain.

The downpoor only lasted about 15 minutes but it was heavy. Of course as soon as it was over the sky cleared up and the sun came out and we got booted from the tent.

The demons started the show typical demon style, appearing from off stage, and walking through the audience jamming on the standard opening tune "Perry's Groove". They twisted their way through the audience, warming us up with the funk and headed for the stage and the show began.

My memory has never been very good for stuff like this but the setlist went something like:

Perry's Groove

Pavin My Road

Gabi's Gimi Suit

Cheese On Bread

Out Of My House, Roach

Hockey Night In Canada Theme

What Do You Want

Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting

Spadina Bus

I figure the setlist is probably very similar from gig to gig on this tour, what with it being their "20th Anniversary Tour" and that kinda makes it a "greatest hits tour" as well. Old fans coming out to hear the old favourites and what not.

Anyway, I hooked up with the boys backstage after the gig and was talking with Stytch (the drummer) about whether or not they had plans to keep the band going or if this was just a one summer tour, and much to my surprise and delight he said they all wanted to try and keep it going.

They are in Kingston on Friday and Montreal on Saturday, where they are playing at 9:00pm and 11:00pm on the main stage of the Montreal Jazz Festival.

next up, Bela Fleck and The Flecktones Friday night.. can't wait for that show.. hope everyone going down to see them in TO tonight has a great time!