Jambands.ca

Kravitz Taking 'Baptism' On The Road

TimmyB

Kravitz Taking 'Baptism' On The Road

Lenny Kravitz's first North American tour in two years will kick off Sept. 11 in Atlantic City, N.J., and run through an Oct. 16 finale in Las Vegas. The opening act will be Robert Randolph and the Family Band, fresh off a wildly acclaimed support slot on Eric Clapton's summer North American tour.

Kravitz will be touring in support of his latest Virgin album, "Baptism," which debuted in June at No. 14 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 208,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The single "Storm" featuring Jay-Z rises 58-53 this week on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks chart.

Prior to the tour, Kravitz will perform Sunday (Aug. 8) at the 2004 Teen Choice Awards and the following day as part of an outdoor concert in Los Angeles for ABC's "The Jimmy Kimmel Show."

Here are Lenny Kravitz's tour dates:

Sept. 11: Atlantic City, N.J. (Borgata)

Sept. 12: Wantagh, N.Y. (Jones Beach)

Sept. 15: Toronto (Molson Amphitheatre)

Sept. 18: Bristow, Va. (Nissan Pavilion)

Sept. 21: Holmdel, N.J. (PNC Bank Arts Center)

Sept. 22: Mansfield, Mass. (Tweeter Center)

Sept. 24: Clarkston, Mich. (DTE Energy Music Center)

Sept. 25: Tinley Park, Ill. (Tweeter Center)

Sept. 28: Maryland Heights, Mo. (UMB Bank Pavilion)

Sept. 29: Columbus, Ohio (Schottenstein Center)

Oct. 1: Noblesville, Ind. (Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre)

Oct. 2: Atlanta (Turner Field)

Oct. 4: West Palm Beach, Fla. (Sound Advice Amphitheatre)

Oct. 7: The Woodlands, Texas (C.W. Mitchell Pavillion)

Oct. 8: Selma, Texas (Verizon Wireless Amhithteatre)

Oct. 11: Chula Vista, Calif. (Coors Amphitheatre)

Oct. 12: Mountain View, Calif. (Shoreline Amphitheatre)

Oct. 15: Irvine, Calif. (Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre)

Oct. 16: Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay)

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

I don't listen to Lenny Kravitz like I used to, but I always felt that his live performance is fantastic. Especially his lead guitarist Craig Ross who is a resident of Toronto.

I have seen Ross perform in Toronto with Chris Stills and Marc Ford in '98, Doyle Bramhall II in '01 and twice with Chris Robinson and New Earth Mud in '03. I have also seen him at gigs for The Rolling Stones in '02 and Beck with the Flaming Lips in the same year.

I might get cheap tickets for this gig.

• 2 weeks later...

TOUR CANCELLED...

Lenny Kravitz Tour Canceled

Updated 14:09 PDT Thu, Aug 12 2004

Just a week after it was first announced, Pollstar has learned that Lenny Kravitz's fall U.S. tour has been canceled for unspecified reasons.

The Stateside leg of his Baptism tour was scheduled to start September 1l in Atlantic City, N.J., and play 18 major amphitheatres before the grand finale at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas October 16th.

Robert Randolph & the Family Band was to open on all dates.

Kravitz was to perform hits from his 15-year career on what was to be his first U.S. tour since 2002. He still has a couple of one-off dates on the books.

This is the third time I have planned on seeing Lenny Kravitz and the show was either postponned or cancelled!

First, in 1996 during the 'Circus Tour' when Lenny's mother passed away, which is a very good reason to postpone a tour. Though the date in Ottawa that I was going to attend was cancelled forcing me to go to Montreal to see him.

Second, in 1999 when Lenny's guitarist Craig Ross was under the weather, another good excuse. Though after Lenny came back to do a autograph session and he did a private gig for Molson or something, even though there were us ticket holders waiting for a Massey Hall show? As I was getting his autograph I asked when the Massey show was going to happen and he said soon, a couple of weeks later it was cancelled. Though he did come back that summer to the Molson Amphitheatre, I would have rather saw him at Massey Hall.

I luckily saw him with out a delay in 2002 for that tour. But now this is three out of four tours! Crazy.