Jambands.ca

algonquin

MoMack

Anybody here no anything about Algonquin. I've never been there and have a friend coming from Australia. I think we're going to try and do a 3 day canoe trip and hopefully see a moose.

If I'm heading from Toronto where's the best place to go? And any idea as to who is the best/cheapest to rent canoes and sh!t from?

Thanks folks.

I'm a known name there & member of "The Friends of Algonquin Park",my ex and I did work for the park,cleaning interior trails,reporting conditions,portages etc in lieu of fee's usually since we would enter the interior just as the ice broke (late march,early april).I've been a regular in that park every year from 1976 (except 1997,2002,2003),spring,summer,fall & winter (my favourite)I'm actually heading into the interior next month for 15 or so days thanks to a very close friend who works there in the fall,it'll be free ::.(14 is the max allowed usually, if you don't have a connection).I usually head up for the annual wolf callings too.

A great place to head in for a 3 day'er is off Canoe lake,which is the primary entrance off highway 60,there you can rent canoes,aluminum (heavy fu©cker but cheap) and kevlar which is the best but abit more $$.The Portage Store rents canoes and can provide basic supplies (if required).If I'm entering that way I usually go Canoe lake > Joe Lake,which is a level 295 m portage leads past the dam separating Joe Lake from Canoe Lake.Then usually into Teepee Lake > Tom Thompson Lake which only takes a couple hours to get to and has an amazing island to camp on with only two site on the island,but camping on the island reduces the chances of having a moose cross your path.I find that route to be the best for a 3 day trip.But if you choose to stay longer it gives you an awesome vantage point to portage into Sunbeam lake which is for the most part usually empty since it isn't the easiest lake to get to,then the route takes you to Burnt Island lake which is huge and usually heavily traveled and populated.

Fee's for 2004 are $9.00 a night per person for interior.But that may have changed since spring.

Chances of seeing moose this time of year in the interior (even a 3 day trip) are great,we have almost always seen moose on Joe lake,somtimes strolling right through are camp site.

You can pick up an Algonquin Park map at almost every good camp/outdoor supply store,which has all the canoe routes for the interior and covers all the car camping.Be prepared for bugs,even this time of year they are present,as I was talking to some folk working there last week and the advised me to have repellent.

You have to supply an intenary (sp?) to the park so the can let you know about availabilty of sites on certian lakes and for safety reasons,there is a sign in building across from the portage store that you do that in (given you enter form canoe),but a park map provides all the details and locations of entrances,canoe rentals etc.I own my own canoe so I have never had to rent one,if your anywhere in the Hamilton area you are more then welcome to borrow mine,its only a 14ft fiberglass (55 lbs) but it does the trick and is extremely easy to slug through the bush as I have done it many many times myself with my black lab.I won't be using it until sept.PM me if you want details on about borrowing it,no charge.

Ok,I could go on & on about that place,it is after all my 2nd favourite place in Canada.(Yukon Territory being the first)

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca