Jambands.ca

Pat Metheny Jambase interview - great read!

headygouda

I don't know about you all, but I'm getting awfully excited about the upcoming metheny show at the hummingbird ctr... after picking up his latest release this week and listening to the 'composed improvisation' that extends over an hour, then reading this great interview.. feb 18th couldn't come soon enough!

What I want to know is from metheny's quote of 'phish having played several of his tunes' .... what songs did they ever cover? I thought I knew my phish and metheny, and I definitely don't know of any overlaps!

Anyway, here's the link to the interview:

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=5933&disp=all

Well I don't have anything against the Grateful Dead at all. There's this big period of musical history that I'm just kind of oblivious to because I was just so far off in another world. I was just so far into the jazz zone that during the time that the Grateful Dead would have been at their peak -- at their most popular even -- I was kind of off on my own trip. I was invited to jam with them a number of times, and it was kind of like "that might be fun, but I've got a gig that night" or "I've gotta go play with Herbie Hancock." It was that I was just really doing my own thing, so I was just kind of unaware of it more than anything else.

Interesting.

Phish, on the other hand, because Trey has spoken often about me, and they've played a lot of our tunes and all that, I have kind of checked that out a little bit. I have a friend that's got a lot of live tapes of them, and I'm totally knocked out with their flexibility and ambition to play all this wildly different stuff... and he's a really, really good guitarist too. And I'm sorry they broke up. They really opened up so many people's imaginations as to what music can be, and again, there's something that happens when you're playing for groups of your peers -- people your own age that kind of look like you and can really relate to you that's different than when it's a bunch of older guys playing. And I think that they really served a very important place, actually, I don't think, I know it for a fact, that they turned people on to what improvisation is and what it can be. And I think they turned an entire generation of people on, who are now John Coltrane fans, fans of our thing and other people just through the example that they offer.

The GD connection is likely through Hornsby and Marsalis, who are friendly with Metheny and have worked with him in the past. I recall a Metheny interview where he said he attended a Dead NYE gig (most likely 1991) but did not play, just watched from the wings and hung out backstage.

Now can we please hook Metheny up with MMW?!?

And in many ways this is a protest record for us. It's a protest against a world where fear of creativity has become the norm, where people are more interested in reducing things down to their minimum rather than expanding things to their maximum. And it's a culture that seems to be celebrating the kind of achievements that take very little in terms of wisdom and insight, depth, development and nuance and are much more about "let's get the most obvious thing that we can possibly come up with and then just repeat it over and over and over again."

Well said.

Aloha,

Brad