Jambands.ca

a new Blue note gem in Toronto

SaggyBalls

Hoping that anybody with an 'in' with a universal/blue note rep will check this show out...on the 6th at the horseshoe in toronto. I'm not a fan but figure that it'll be an interesting night of music and heart.

if you're a fan or somebody that can get on the list it's something worth noting...

I really like Blue Note still. I haven't heard a lot of records turn out sour from this side of jazz. I've heard some crummy verve releases but not any sad Blue Notes.

Something I figured to share.

Keren Ann- NOLITA

(Metro Blue)

On the heels of critical success for her sublime debut U.S. album, Not Going Anywhere– called “quietly devastating” by the Village Voice, “cunning and soulful” by the Washington Post and simply “the perfect day” by The New Yorker – Paris and New York-based singer-songwriter Keren Ann follows with NOLITA. The CD, both beautiful and mysterious, pays homage to New York, her adopted home where she spent much of last year and is another intimate collection of quietly sung lyrical gems this time with more diverse, multi-textured soundscapes.

"If Not Going Anywhere is the perfect day, Nolita is that day remembered at night from far away, details distended by wine and selective memory."

The New Yorker

“I reached for Not Going Anywhere, over and over, as if it were a glass of water.”

The New Yorker

“It’s pretty, delicate and so freakin’ twee.”-

Entertainment Weekly

“Keren Ann’s songs make a few fingerpicked notes seem to enfold an entire world.”

The New York Times

“An album of such unabated elegance and beauty delights on the first introduction.”

Paste

“Haunting soundscapes that are unsetting as they are beautiful, lingering in the memory long after you’ve put the CD back into it’s case.”-

Amazon.com

“Cunning and soulful.”

Washington Post

“Keren Ann spins melodic tales.”

Tracks

“...quietly devastating tunes that haunt without being ostensibly eerie.”

Village Voice

Keren Ann Tour Dates

Date City Venue

3/6/2005 Toronto, Canada The Legendary Horseshoe Tavern

3/8/2005 Cambridge, MA The Middle East

3/9/2005 New York, NY Fez

3/10/2005 New York, NY Joe's Pub

3/11/2005 Philadelphia, PA World Cafe (WXPN)

3/12/2005 Arlington, VA IOTA

3/23/2005 New York, NY Joe's Pub

Reviewer: Karyn from Boston, MA

As of four hours ago I had never heard the name Keren Ann. I heard her 'la forme et le fond' on the radio and fell in love. Her music makes you feel as if the entire world has stopped just so you can listen.