Jambands.ca

Video ideas for "Clash of Civilizations"

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Anyone familiar with Samuel Huntington's "Clash of Civilizations"? I'm going through it in class this week, but the class let me know in a midterm review that they'd like to be watching more videos (I'll bite back any cynical comments here). Any ideas? The obvious sort of pick would be any address whatsoever by GWB et al., but I need something on DVD or VHS. Can anyone think of movies, grossly fictional or not, that are concerned with looming massive conflict between "civilizations"? (I have issues with the thesis, but that's what the bit after the movie is for).

Yimou Zhang-Hero

nation state conflict>ideological conflict>culture conflict.

i think it portrays huntington's essay as well as it's critique as intercultural conflict is too big an issue to not be included...the film suggests the world is following the same path huntington lays out...the clash of four nations, different banners, different skills and cherished folkways. Revealed in the big picture however is the fact they are all Chinese.

i guess the star wars films would confirm and

deny huntington at various times in the series as well.

i guess the star wars films would confirm and deny huntington at various times in the series as well.

Thanks for the flick pic; you nail the problem - it's a slippery thesis at best. Good for defence contractors, mind you.

I once googled "Huntington" and "self-fulfilling" and got few couple thousand hits; I figured that said about as much as needed to be said.