Jambands.ca

The Slip Last Night

guigsy

so, the boys played their first gigs of the spring (not counting smmd), last nite in new hampshire.. i think there's 2 more gigs on this little run, and then back into hiding, only to emerge for a festival here and there... here's how it looks on paper... or, screen, rather...

5/4/05: The Stone Church: Newmarket, NH

Set 1: Cut From the Cloth, Even Rats, I Hate Love, Nellie Jean, Soft Machine, Everything Must Go, Headshot> Mr. Meowskers

Set 2: Proud, Paper Birds, Lonely Boy, Something Learned, Let the Morning In, Aptos> Shouters

Encore: Whats So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding> Even Rats (ending)

Notes: I Hate Love and Everything Must Go were debuts for The Slip. Both songs lyrics written by Nathan Moore and played with Surprise Me Mr. Davis.

Marc made his vocal debut with The Slip but again had been singing with the Mr. Davis project.

nice to see they pulled out a couple mr. davis tunes... i have become a big fan of 'I Hate Love', especially.. a nice looking setlist to me! cut from the cloth, nellie jean, soft machine, headshot>meowskers, proud, something learned, and i bet the aptos>shouters is really tasty... i imagine they've been playing a shitload in the studio, so i hope they werent too rusty.

Edited by Guest

Looks good! I'm intrigued about the Even Rats reprise... I'm trying to picture the transition between Aptos and The Shouters, I imagine that it was fairly interesting to say the least... Good looking setlist, nice to see some SMMD songs getting some play. I've been digging I Hate Love as well guigs. Hopefully this was taped (I'm sure Clinton did, but you never know), and we can hear how they're sounding...

booche, is that the boston show? i dont know if its the matrix i have, but i have something. i actually grabbed the first download that was available, and i think there was a 2nd download, some things got fixed.. i couldnt tell what they were (based on my recording), so i didnt bother to get it.. i think some tracks were out of order, maybe? dunno. anyways, the short answer is: maybe.

the only 2 shows i have from that run are the boston show, and syracuse... i've been listening to disc 1 from syracuse quite a bit, and i really dig it... moreso than when i was there, actually. oddly enough, for me, the show starts to fall apart when they bust out a couple slip tunes. from what i recall, cuz i rarely listen to the 2nd disc, the suffocation keep that nite was kind of all over the place, and i've never really been a fan of poorboy.

and yeah, Del, i think i saw clinton post the other day on sliplive that he was going to be taping both new hampshire shows, and also knew a few other tapers who were going to, as well.

Well, keep in mind that we arent *really* talking about the Slip here. This is a different beast altogether. I am love with most of Nathan's lyrics.

Anyways, this is the Boston show and it is going to get a fair amount of airplay. I still love my Slip in many more ways but I dig on these tunes and look forward to sinking my teeth into them.

Considering it is the first gig with one night of practice (and, one of the tunes Marc had never played before) this is a fairly strong representation of what SMMD can bring to the table. I understand and appreciated die-hard Slip fans not getting this stuff even though I become perplexed by it all.

oh yeah dude.. dont get me wrong... i am a full on surprise me mr. davis supporter... i love it as much as i love the slip, and to be quite honest i hope they continue to write new tunes with nathan and tour with him.. i'd love to see this be an actual 'band', not just a side project, cuz i think they'd have more appeal to more people than the slip do. and actually i think after my first listen to the boston show, i posted some similar things to what you said... basically, what i was saying is that i really dig the syracuse show, but i could have done without the slip tunes thrown into the mix. probably would have preferred it, actually, cuz i dont think they came off that well that night. its just one night.

the die-hard slip fans seem to be the hardest people to please (from reading their boards and the complaints on their direction, setlist selection, etc).. lately, i've been listening to a lot of the 'jazzy' kinda slip that people seem to be longing for them to bring back, and i can see why, they're absolute animals in that regard, some of this shit is just mind boggling. but, hey, different strokes for different folks, different sounds for different clowns, etc etc....

the 'new' slip is a much different beast than the 'old' slip, the same as smmd is a much different beast than anything slip. but all fucking amazing, in my opinion.