Jambands.ca

Bane of Companies, PETA Spy Reveals Self

StoneMtn

By BONNIE PFISTER, Associated Press Writer

Tue May 31, 1:18 PM ET

Lisa Leitten is finished living her double life. For the past three years, the soft-spoken, 30-year old moved from Missouri to Texas to Virginia, applying for jobs at businesses dealing with animals. She gave her real name, and some real details about herself: a master's degree in animal psychology and prior work at a primate sanctuary in Florida.

What she didn't reveal was that she was also working for an animal welfare organization, and that she wore a hidden camera to document instances in which animals were treated with what she calls horrific neglect and cruelty...

--Click Here for Full Story--

In my view, I think the "Legal experts" in question are conflating two different terms for "illegal".

Yes. The employee breached the terms of her employment contract, and for that reason may be (likely is) liable for civil damages to the employer. That said, I don't think criminal charges are appropriate or warranted for that type of surveillance, and although I am no expert in the various "Penal Codes" in the different American states, I'd be very surprised if there was any criminal charge that could stick.

I just find it amusing that they use the ambiguous term "illegal" to give the impression that she committed a crime to the average reader.