Jambands.ca

Printing labels directly on to a CDR

Basher

I am considering purchasing a printer that allows you to print directly on to a disc, for CD labelling purposes. Does anyone have any experience with this? There is an Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer for $85 (after rebate) that will do this, but I am worried that I will have to use the supplied software to create my own label, and that I will not be able to import PDF files (from LivePhish) for example.

Any help would be appreciated.

I was using the epson R200 at work and just recently purchased the newer R320. The quality of prints is really good. The reason we bought the R320 was because the rollers on the R200 kept on getting stuck and you had to give the disc tray a little budge but it still works today, its just a pain in the ass sometimes. As far as I know you do have to use their program to print (I could be wrong) because it controls the rollers to pull the tray in. So you have to convert to Jpeg or Gif. For price & quality colour prints this is the only option on the market, that I know of. We use it all the time. One other thing to remember, ink is very expensive and it takes 6 different colours so you only have to replace the colours you use. Each cartridge is around $20. Although, it should come with full cartridges.