Jambands.ca

PAUL BRODIE (Sax) Anyone heard of him?

StoneMtn

Paul Brodie lives in the Muskoka region. Apparently he is a "world famous" sax player.

Being the plebeian I am, I've never heard of him; although the rest of the world allegedly has.

I am considering hiring him to play an event, and I will soon be hearing one of his CDs, but I'm wondering if any Skancs have any info on this guy or any projects he's done. (Apparently, he's regarded as the "most recorded" sax player in the world, appearing on like 50 discs.)

Anyone got anything for me?

Wedding party. He might be hired to play during dinner, or possibly later on with a band if he has a good, fun band with tunes I like.

Thanks for the link, though. I'll check it out over lunch today.

(I knew BradM would be of some assistance. You never fail us brother. Thanks!)

C.

... I still encourage anyone with first-hand knowledge of Paul Brodie to provide some comments if you have them.

He's amazing.

Defenitly world-class. He's both classical and jazz player, and has made huge strides in bringing the saxophone into the classical genre. He's a multi-reedsman, thus not restricted just to the sop or alto.

I saw him perform a few times, and I participated in a master class with him a few years ago. He's defenitly worth it, but will probably cost a pretty penny.

hope that helps

Awesome Boochawan! Your opinion is very valuable to me, and I am listening with open-ears.

Based on what I'm hearing, though, it sounds like he'd be more appropriate for playing during dinner than afterward for dancing and partying, eh? Or do you think he might have a good rockin' band that he also plays with?

Based on the classical/jazz comment, I'm guessing that "rockin'" isn't really his forte?

[color:purple](Maybe I should just hire Vanderpark, although I hear they suck! :P )

Where's the wedding? If it's in/near Ottawa, The Crowd might be a good choice: it's a 12-piece (including a 4-piece horn section, featuring thatpatguy on baritone sax) R&B cover band, that plays stuff everybody will know, and which can get people dancing (I've seen them fill a dance floor with staid suburbanites at a club in a strip mall in Nepean).

Aloha,

Brad

Brad, that sounds great! I was totally thinking of R 'n' B, as a good compromise between what I'd actually like to have played, and what would be acceptable to the "grownups" (myself clearly not included in that group).

The wedding's in Muskoka, though, but I will check out The Crowd and if I'm interested, I can then consider what it might take to get them out to cottage country.

12-piece???? Awesome!

Great minds think alike, Brad! I was thinking of piping in some .mp3s along with the band.

That way I could have a good, but inoffensive, band play for the crowd, and still throw in some jammy tunes later on in the evening, and some Jewish party songs (Havanagillah, etc.) during the evening as well (for my grandmother a.k.a. "Bubby").

(You can see where my priorities lie in planning this reception; eh?)

Are the Flying Bulgar Klezmer band still playing? I saw them at Harbourfront around 1997, and the most recent disc I have is 1996.

They're a great band, but I'm thinking I want to be a bit more contemporary. Again, though, great minds do think alike as I actually already considered these guys.

Hey, if you dig Klezmer, I highly encourage you to check out Ivo Papasov and his Bulgarian Wedding Band. They're not exactly Klezmer, but very similar, and they blew everyone away when they showed up on the NYC jazz circuit about a decade ago.

I was thinking more of including a couple of FBKB tracks in the set of MP3s you were thinking of spinning. I think a whole night of them might be too much, the same way garlic or chiles is a good spice to add, but shouldn't comprise a whole meal.

Aloha,

Brad