Jambands.ca

Another one for the Bassies...

Paan

I am almost due for a trip to HMV in TO for a CD binge...

For you bassies, what are some of your favourite albums for bass playing (especially in the funky realm)?

For me, I would recommend, amongst many others, Stanley Clark - School Days, Herbie Hancock - Thrust, and an amazing band called Oneness of Ju Ju - really good bass and percussion on this one. A mix of funk, jazz and African.

I am going to have my shopping list ready!

If you check the jazz section, look for a band named UZEB. The bassist, Alain Caron, is amazingly good, doing everything from heavy funky lines, to sweet melodic stuff (high up on a fretless), to acoustic bass jazzy stuff. "Noisy Nights" is a good album, as is "Live In Europe". The "World Tour 90" is also good, as it's a double-CD live release (and has a nice rendition of "Donna Lee" with an amazing upright bass performance from Caron).

He's also done work (including one CD with Michel Donato, another bass player. I saw a TV program with just the two of them playing, and one of them commented how cool it was to play bass along with another bass player: usually, when the bassist takes a solo, the rest of the band (except for maybe the drummer) drops out, but with two bass players, one can take a solo, and still have a bass line going on under/around what the soloist is doing.

Aloha,

Brad