Jambands.ca

The Funky Meters

Drawbar

Just got my ticket's for the Chicago House of Blues show. Saturday night. These dudes are the kings of Funk!Should be sweet.

Read on:

ORIGINAL METERS REUNITE!!

POSTED 08/04/05--ART, ZIGABOO, GEORGE, LEO: NEW ORLEANS SUPERGROUP TO FUNK AGAIN!!

TRIUMPHANT JAZZ FEST 2005 GIG SPARKS REESTABLISHMENT OF THE LEGENDARY BAND!!!

New Orleans, LA, (August 3, 2005)—After more that 25 years of separation, Art Neville, Zigaboo Modeliste, George Porter Jr., and Leo Nocentelli are returning to festival, concert and club stages as the supergroup that put New Orleans funk on the map and that continues to exert an unparalleled influence on American roots and popular music: The Meters.

The Meters’ unique place as a touchstone for countless jam bands and as one of the most sampled groups in all of hip hop and pop music has kept it relevant to contemporary audiences in a way that few, if any other 70’s groups can claim.

The band’s first scheduled appearance will take place in Las Vegas on October 30 as part of the upcoming Vegoose event. The Meters will also perform in New York on November 25 at the new Nokia Theatre Times Square. Additional dates are being confirmed at this time. For more information visit www.TheMetersOnline.com.

Details of confirmed shows will be announced soon, as the original Meters—creators of “Sophisticated Cissy,†“Cissy Strut,†“Ease Back,†and many other funk classics—are set to join the live music landscape in a way not seen since 1979.

"It is an honor to once again be making music with all of the original Meters,†said Zigaboo Modeliste, the band’s drummer. “The music that we recorded in the late 60's has been infectious and remains popular today. We are blessed to still be alive and be able to play. I look forward to working with the Corp of Funk Engineers!"

“I am happy to be playing with The Meters again, these are some of the baddest dudes I’ve been blessed to play with over the years,†said founding member Art “Poppa Funk†Neville. “I’ll be sittin’ down, but the REAL funk will be standing up.â€

Leo Nocentelli said, “It's a very rare situation when a group, as well as their songs, can be as new today as they were in the 60's. That's exactly what the original Meters are experiencing now. For me, I think that The Meters performing for fans today is something that no one should miss hearing or seeing."

George Porter Jr. said, “It’s great, and it’s going to be FUNKIN’ GREAT!â€

The band’s appearance at this year’s New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival in April, one of only a handful of Meters shows during the past two and half decades, was easily the most anticipated set at Jazz Fest 2005 and for many the highlight of the event.

The Meters are Art Neville, organ; Joseph "Zigaboo" Modeliste, drums; George Porter Jr., bass; and Leo Nocentelli, guitar.