Jambands.ca

New Canadian Surveillance Protocols?

Dr_Evil_Mouse

We'll have to see the actual breadth and application of this bill when it's drafted, but it actually doesn't sound like anything to be too concerned about to me.

I'm usually really loathe to pass unnecessary legislation that could diminish civil rights. In this case, though, it sounds like this bill will simply give the authorities means to get similar information that they already get when dealing with phones; through wire taps. That means that they would still need to get the approval of a judge for a warrant, and the standard for awarding one of these warrants would be subject to the Charter; so we have some good safeguards.

As I said, we'll have to see, but it really doesn't sound too earth shattering; at least in that article.

It seems to be on the level, as they say; I just get worried when these sorts of changes are made in the legal infrastructure that could have unforeseen repercussions down the line (e.g. when some gov't might want to ramp up the illegality of something).

I also know I've spent too much time looking at (admittedly) small groups who would love nothing better than to get rid of the Charter (or invoke the Notwithstanding clause for every little thing).