Jambands.ca

Condolences to Don Ross

StoneMtn

From Don Ross yesterday evening...

Hello everyone,

The sudden death of my mother has forced me to cancel my concerts in Germany scheduled for this coming week. In Heiligenhaus, Peter Finger and Peter Kroll-Ploeger will perform in my place. The festival in Bochum will carry on without me, and I hope to reschedule the concert in Eckernförde for sometime in 2006.

All the best,

Don Ross

http://www.DonRossOnline.com

gobyfish@idirect.com

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say a big "thank you" to the many many big-hearted friends and fans out there who have sent supportive messages in the past few days following the death of my mother, Marie. She was truly the kindest and most loving person I have ever met, and I miss her so much I can hardly bear it. We're saying goodbye tomorrow at her funeral in Nova Scotia. I thought I'd pass on her obituary as it appeared in her local newspaper. Although an obit can never really say everything about a truly inspiring person, you can see through her achievements that everything she did was a direct result of her kindness and concern for the welfare of those around her.

The world feels like a big bruised apple without her. Please pray for her and all of those of us who had the privilege of experiencing her love firsthand.

Thanks to all of you,

Don Ross

http://www.DonRossOnline

gobyfish@idirect.com

************[color:blue]

MARIE ROSS

Marie Ross, BA, CGPA (Dip.), RN. Wife, mother, grandmother and businesswoman. Born in Halifax April 5, 1931, died at Aberdeen Hospital, New Glasgow Dec. 9, 2005.

Marie was predeceased by daughter Mary Catherine.

Survived by Ron, her husband of 55 years and her brother, Charles Pictou.

Marie was beloved mother to son, William Pictou; daughter, Margaret, and sons Robert, Donald, and Kenneth Ross. She was beloved grandmother to Jamie, Katie and Mathew Ross, to Tara and Maya McGowan-Ross; and to Alexander and John Ross.

Marie was a Status Indian and member of the Micmac Millbrook First Nation, Truro, N. S.

As a young woman, Marie lived on the Indian Brook reserve in Nova Scotia where she worked as an assistant to the medical doctor and the registered nurse. In that capacity, she visited many Nova Scotia reserves to assist at clinics and provide a range of health- care services. As a health professional in major city hospitals, she gained experience in many areas of nu rsing including obstetrics, pediatrics, medicine, surgery, geriatrics, group psychotherapy and mental health. During her later tenure at Medical Services Branch, Marie visited many Aboriginal communities across the country and addressed many health and so cial issues.

After becoming a registered nurse and group psychotherapist, Marie earned degrees in English and history (honours) at the University of Toronto. Marie was an experienced writer and editor whose works were published regularly in medical journ als. While with Health Canada, Marie edited and directed the production of health promotion documents including handbooks for Aboriginal health professionals and workers with such themes as child development, suicide prevention, and program evaluation tar geted for Aboriginal people.

Marie served on committees that promote healthy development of Aboriginal people including:

The Canadian Perinatal Surveillance Committee (Laboratory for Disease Control), Health Canada, as an Aboriginal health committee member, and

The Aboriginal Women’s Health Committee of the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, representing Aboriginal nurses of Canada.

Marie also served as a visiting lecturer on aboriginal health at the University of Toronto, as guest facilitator on the Sioux Lookout Telemedicine link-up serving northern Ontario First Nation communities, and as a presenter and facilitator at workshops for medical students at the University of Ottawa. She presented an original poster presentation entitled Addictio n and Suicide Among Canadian Aboriginal Women at the Second International Community Nursing Research Conference held at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland in September, 1997. In June 1998, Marie presented an original poster presentation entitled Feta l Alcohol Syndrome in Aboriginal Communities at the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Annual General Meeting in Vancouver, B.C.

Marie was the president of Marie Ross and Associates, an Aboriginal company where she used her wide experience in hea lth and social issues affecting Aboriginal people based on her experience as former executive director, Aboriginal Nurses Association of Canada and former director of Mental Health Advisory Services, Indian and Northern Health Services, Medical Services B ranch, Health Canada.

In 1998, Marie and her colleagues completed a curriculum entitled Positive Aboriginal Parenting for a program to be delivered by Correctional Service Canada to female and male Aboriginal offenders. This curriculum was intended for us e in both the federal and provincial prison systems targeting Aboriginal inmates.

In 1999, Marie and Ron returned to Millbrook before retiring. In 2002, Marie established the Accredited Community Care Assistant program at Millbrook as her final assignment before retiring at age 72.

Marie was most appreciative of the kind professional care she received from Drs. Murdo and Linda Ferguson and the entire staff of the Millbrook Health Centre. She was happy to be in her home community where her many relatives and other community members gave her much love and affection. She will be sorely missed by all who love her.

Visitation at the Mattatall Funeral Home, 55 Young St., Truro, N.S. from 7 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec.14. Funeral service at Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, Millbrook First Nation, Truro at 11 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 15. No flowers by request. Donations may be made to The Arthritis Society, West End Mall, 6960 Mumford Rd., Suite S-13, Halifax, N.S. B3L 4P1. Online condolences mattatallfh@ns.aliantzinc.ca