Jambands.ca

Kardinal Offishall - Feb 2 in Kingston

skelter

This show is gonna be sick!

Kardinal Offishall with special guest Rochester AKA Juice, presented by Rock Crew Productions, CFRC 101.9 FM and Elixir Nightclub (14 Garrett Street).

Advance tickets on sale now at Destinations, Brian's Record Option, Zap Records, Renaissance Music, Chumleighs, Elixir and online at www.rockcrew.ca

Long before Rasta-flavoured red, green and gold wristbands became a principal fashion accessory, Toronto’s most celebrated emcee Kardinal Offishall has been incorporating authentic Jamaican vibes into his sonic mix to create his own unique rap-dancehall hybrid sound since the mid-90’s.

Canada’s renowned pure rap export, Kardinal Offishall has built a portfolio of international production and recording credits comprised of a virtual Who’s Who of urban music talent. Before multi-platinum reggae crooner Sean Paul became the toast of the pop charts, Toronto’s Offishall rap ambassador was already penning gold-selling Juno Award winning singles with him (“Money Janeâ€). To date, Kardinal is the only Canadian urban act to appear on BET’s Rap City show (even freestyling in the booth with Big Tigger), and on MTV’s Advance Warning (which introduces the world to artists on the verge of breaking big, like former guest Kanye West). When you couple that with recent collaboration work alongside the Neptunes’ Pharrell Williams (“Grinding†remix, “Bellydancerâ€), on recent records by Pete Rock (“We Goodâ€), Method Man (“Baby Come Onâ€), Akon (“Kill The Danceâ€) and on the blockbuster movie soundtrack 2 Fast 2 Furious with Disturbing The Peace’s Shawnna (“Block Reincarnatedâ€), it’s really not open to debate—Kardinal is “the people’s champ like Lennox Lewisâ€, as he raps on the title track.

While Kardinal has no visions of becoming a global reggae artist, fans that enjoyed ‘Maxine’ from Firestarter will lap up ‘Neva New.’ As per usual, Canada’s Hip Hop Mayor has always been about recording music with a message, and he comes with some heavy subject matter on ‘Sunday.’ “This song is like my hip hop sermon, you know I went to church as a shorty, so instilled in me is a love for my family, friends, the laws of nature.†While some acts of Kardinal’s stature tend to go Hollyhood and ignore the streets which helped raise them to be the pop stars that they are today, Kardinal flips some very gripping, intensely personal verses for them too. He raps: “God lives in you…the streets gone crazy, but He loves them (thugs) too,†paying respect to locales in various neighborhoods in Toronto, including his own Vaughan/Oakwood area, that show him love unconditionally. Profound.

In the end, Fire and Glory will further secure Kardinal’s position as an immensely talented Canadian artist and the voice of the “people.†“What I’m trying to lead is the same movement that you see happening with Atlanta, setting flames under the city, encourage people to have pride in their country.†He adds: “It’s a relief to be back out there because the streets are hungry for more fire.â€

A new wave of Toronto-based rap talent is positioning itself to make a dent on Canadian music charts. Rochester aka Juice has emerged as one of the leaders of this new school. Don't believe the hype? You don't need to. Prominent press outlets, commercial radio and TV stations have already stepped in to cement the hoopla, and the stage is set.

Born Jason Rochester, the tall and noticeably handsome emcee grew up in the Islington/Finch corridor of Toronto and demonstrated a unique artistic gift as a young teen - that of a comic book illustrator. Influenced by the likes of Marvin Gaye, Dennis Brown and Jay-Z, Juice casually dabbled in the art of rhyme slinging in his old neighborhood, at one time joining rap collective The STC (Street Terrorist Clique). Years later, when Canada's first urban radio station (FLOW 93.5 fm) held their inaugural Soul Search talent contest (in 2002), he graduated with honours from occasional 'hood cipher contributor to centre-stage entertainer. A charismatic performance coupled with an ability to paint candid pictures through his rhymes crowned Juice the Soul Search's inaugural first prizewinner for his original composition "Young Luv" - an animated ode to early childhood romance - Juice's career kicked into overdrive.

Rochester aka Juice's full-length debut, A New Day (released in Spring 2005 on MapleMusic Recordings) marks a Canadian urban music revolution. Not only is Juice the first hip hop act to be released by MapleMusic Recordings, he is also the first artist to emerge from the much-fêted Foundation Creative Group; a loose Toronto-based collective of renowned producers (Tone Mason), commercial graphic designers/conceptualists (Street Level Imaging), emcee's (Mhedikc, Drex) and artist managers (Public Management). Simply put, when you have producers in your camp whose credits include Talib Kweli and AZ, you're well on your way to urban music glory.

While the challenge for most world class Canadian rap talents has been to stylistically set themselves apart from their American rap neighbors, Juice, like Kardinal Offishall before him, is a unique first-generation Canadian emcee. His lyrics speak to distinctly local concerns while carrying universal themes. "Some cats feel because they sell a couple of dime bags that they're hustlers, gangsters and thug rappers like they see on BET," relates Juice. "The situation in Canada is different. Sure some people are living that kind of life, but why rap about busting guns when you're not? I come from a proud Dominican and Jamaican household, grew up with my two parents, and I didn't live that kind of life.so why am I going to rap about something that I don't live?" He adds: "Music is expression of self. If that's not you, don't express it."

Folks who've witnessed Juice's charismatic live show already know that Juice's musical mission is to deliver straight lyrical goods - whether opening up for Eminem protegé Obie Trice on his cross-Canada tour, or as part of the wildly popular Nike Battlegrounds street ball basketball tournament. "I'm not trying to blend in, I'm trying to change the rap game right now," he says point blank. "Change is gonna come."

www.maplemusic.com/artists/kao/default.asp

www.rochesterakajuice.com

www.cfrc.ca

www.elixirnightclub.com

www.rockcrew.ca

OTHER SHOWS COMING SOON:

Ember Swift w/ Vanderpark - Feb 9 at Elixir

Mark Wilson/Tomi Swick/one more TBA - Feb 16 at Elixir

Fred Eaglesmith - Feb 23 at Elixir

Metric w/ Island & Holy Fuck - Feb 28 at Grant Hall

From Fiction & Sylvie - Mar 2 at Elixir

Cuff The Duke w/ The Hylozoists - Mar 9 at Elixir

Craig Cardiff - Mar 16 at Elixir

Hawksley Workman - Mar 23 at Sydenham Street United Church

The Old Soul & Lederhosen Lucil - Mar 23 at Elixir

Hootenanny Revue - Mar 30 at Elixir

Edited by Guest

This show is part of CFRC 101.9 FM's fundraising drive continuing this week!

from www.cfrc.ca

Now we have a request for you...

CFRC 101.9FM Funding Drive 2006

Friday January 27 - Sunday February 5

For the first time in 84 years, CFRC is having a telethon to raise money for operating expenses. Our goal is $5000.

Why should I donate to campus radio?

* We are your only alternative radio station in Kingston offering you local coverage of issues and events that affect you through our spoken word broadcasts and public service announcements

* We play everything - jazz, indie, funk, classical, blues, reggae, country, hip hop, folk, progressive rock, world beats and bluegrass and much more.

* We offer the opportunity for Kingstonians and Queen's students to receive training in order to develop broadcast skills and continue with a career in media.

How do I make a donation?

* Call 613 533-CFRC (2372) during the Funding Drive if you would like to receive a gift.

* Click here to make an online pledge:

o You must type "CFRC" in the clubs field in order for CFRC to receive your donation.

o Online donations are only eligible for tax receipts, not gifts or the draw.

* Attend one of CFRC's co-sponsored events and check out the pledge table

* Visit us at our studios in the Basement of Carruthers Hall on Queen's Campus

What do I get for my donation?

* satisfaction of knowing you've contributed to keeping CFRC on the air

* tax receipts OR gifts including CDs, t-shirts and Via Rail money. Click here for a full list of gifts available while supplies last

* potential to win a domestic trip for two, courtesy of Odyssey Travel and WestJet

* If $5000 is raised, the opportunity to see Eric Duncan, our Programming Manager, have CFRC's logo tattoed on himself on February 10th

CFRC's Co-sponsored Events Listing

Mon Jan 30 Spoken Word Open Mic @ CommonGround Coffeehouse

Thurs Feb 2 Kardinal Offishall @ The Elixir with Rock Crew Productions

Sat Feb 4 Controller.Controller with OK Go @ The Grad Club (2 shows: early-all ages, late-19+)

If you have any inquiries please contact Sayyida Jaffer, Business Manager:

Phone: (613) 533-2121

Fax: (613) 533-6049

Email: cfrcbusiness@ams.queensu.ca