Jambands.ca

The Archbishop of Canterbury Is a Real Nice Guy

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Rowan Williams. I mean, just look at him. Doesn't the guy just look friendly?

bish2.jpg

Just put a black t-shirt on him, bushier hair, and a guitar ;).

But what got me thinking about that is the story I just saw, Archbishop Condemns Guantanamo Camp.

The world's Anglican leader is calling the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay an "extraordinary legal anomaly" that sets a precedent for dictators around the world.

In an interview with BBC television in Sudan on Sunday, Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams said the Guantanamo facility creates a new category of custody.

He said the foreigners being held there without charges do not have legal guarantees of individual liberties considered important to the West.

"Any message given, that any state can just override some of the basic habeas corpus-type provisions, is going to be very welcome to tyrants elsewhere in the world, now and in the future," he said.

"What, in 10 years' time, are people going to be able to say about a system that tolerates this?" he asked.

The United States set up the detention centre at its naval base in Cuba after the attacks in New York and Washington on Sept. 11, 2001.

Most of those in custody were picked up in Afghanistan as the U.S.-led coalition fought to oust the Taliban regime.

About 750 detainees have been sent to Guantanamo Bay. Nearly 500 remain, but only 10 have been formally charged as terrorists.

On Friday, the Pentagon released the names and home countries of many of the prisoners after the Associated Press filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit to gain access to some 5,000 pages of transcripts from closed-door hearings on the detainees.

• 2 weeks later...

Booyeah!

This guy just gets better and better (though in point of fact, he's only carefully, if emphatically, toeing official Anglican doctrine): Archbishop Speaks Out against Teaching Creationism .

The Archbishop of Canterbury, spiritual leader of the world's 77 million Anglicans, said in an interview published today that he did not believe creationism -- the Bible-based account of the origins of the world -- should be taught in schools.

"I think creationism is... A kind of category mistake, as if the Bible were a theory like other theories... If creationism is presented as a stark alternative theory alongside other theories I think there has just been a jarring of categories," Dr Rowan Williams told The Guardian newspaper.

I always thought it was interesting that Gregory Bateson used to describe schizophrenia as just that kind of thing - the engrained inability to discriminate between logical types or levels of abstraction.