Jambands.ca

NationStates

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I've been playing this text-based web game called NationStates... It's basically all about running the government of a mock country by making decisions on issues presented to parliament... Based on the decisions you make your country is affected in three areas: Civil Rights, Economy, Political Freedom.

There is also a mock UN if you really want to take the game seriously.

I, chose not to take the game too seriously, and am ruling a economically powerful dictatorship.

THE KINGDOM OF SLAPPYSTAN

UN Category: Corporate Police State

Civil Rights: Some

Economy: Very Strong

Political Freedoms: Outlawed

The Kingdom of Slappystan is a large, economically powerful nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 26 million are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Religion & Spirituality. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 48%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Uranium Mining.

Scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes, drunk drivers are sentenced to death, shanty towns are forming in the suburbs of major cities, and the use of martial arts is banned. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Slappystan's national animal is the lemming, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the eyeball.

Slappystan is ranked 1st in the region and 35,516th in the world for Largest Trout Fishing Sector.

If anybody wants to play along, I started a new region called North Whatchamacallit.

Guest Low Roller

You start off in the North Pacific region... you can move regions in your region settings. Just search for North Whatchamacallit...

Guest Low Roller

You shouldn't need it anymore. All this trouble will be worth it to join my utopian steampunk vision of the future.

Guest Low Roller

Yeah, the gameplay is pretty simple, but it's amusing to see where your nation ends up after you make some decisions.