Jambands.ca

Ain't It Cool sneak review of Ep. I of Season II Extras

Jaimoe

I can't wait for season II to start airing in Canada, on whatever network chooses to pick it up. Season I was pretty darn funny. I love Ricky Gervais. Recommended: listen to his fucking hilarious podcasts.

Review from Ain't It Cool of Ep.1/season II (BEWARE OF SPOILERS):

So Extra's 2.1 aired tonight on BBC2 over here in the UK and I though I'd jot down a few of my inconsequential thoughts just FYI

So Gervais and Merchant have said that the new series of their award breaking series Extras is the funniest thing they've written so far. On tonights evidence I doubt they'll be far wrong

In tonights show Andy (Gervais) is nervous on the big day in which his new sitcom "When The Whistle Blows" is meant to shoot its first show in front of a large audience. Andy's nerves are tested even more with his agent (Merchant) eternally trying to get "Barry" (Shaun Williamson) into the show, even as a possible replacement for Andy. Even more troubling is the broad, out there direction the show is taking; a mile away from the realistic workplace comedy normal people can relate to (sound familiar?). And the day takes a turn for the disastrous with a last minute cast change...

Meanwhile Maggie, still a jobbing extra (or supporting artist as she refers to herself) is in the new Orlando Bloom courtroom drama (I think with the sexy Sophia Myles). Maggie is pestered all day by an old friend who regailes her with stories of her new found fame and her opinions of Maggie's life and looks. But the pestering also comes from Mr Bloom, keen to put Johnny Depp aside and asure his place at the top of the hunk charts.

So Gervais and Merchant are back on top form. Andy's story is probably the stronger as the Maggie storyline is sort of covering the same ground. Andy had a 'friend' in the first series that constantly undermined him and dragged him through the mud and Bloom's character is similar in a way to Ross Kemp's in the first series, a man with a public image that he truly believes and wants everyone else to believe in too. Ashley Jensen is just as cute and natural as she was in the first series whilst Bloom does what little comedy he has to do with just enough charm and talent to get him through (just about). But a nice resolution to that story has me satisfied

Andy's story clearly has some resonance with Gervais and is in his usual top form with the character and the stiruation. His scene as Andy gently pushes the director aside to direct last minute replacement Keith Chegwin absolutely had me in stitches. A few worries though with the Andy storyline. It was great don't get me wrong, however it needs a lot varying over the series. I'm guessing it won't all be on the set of the sitcom which is good as that could get old. The camp co writer character and the head of comedy character seemed a little redundant as the camp guy (sorry to keep referring to him like that as I can't place the characters name) had nothing to do and the HoC guy just came across like a bit of a jerk, a bit of a switch since last series. I am loving the More Merchant factor as his interplay with Gervais and Williamson is priceless. I hope they find more for Shaun to do however as I don't want him just to be doing little audition pieces for people all series. I'm sure he will find more to do as Ricky and Steve are utter genius and I'm sure the series and it's slightly new format will have us all eased in by the end of next weeks show.

5/5

CSCTheLegend

P.S.The show after Extras over here, That Mitchell And Webb Look was absolutely hilarious, don't switch over Brits! And watch out Lucas and Walliams!

Edited by Guest