Jambands.ca

Anyone Listen to Ken Nordine?

nattyMatty

hey matty' date=' check out this YouTube link.

Cool shit. Thanks for that. Nordine does some interesting stuff for sure. Colors is a lot of fun.

Got to see Nordine come out and "jam" a little with the Dead in Chicago (93? 92?) Did "Fliberty Jib".

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

that's where i learned about ken nordine. david gans had ken on the show & played some of the live "fliberty jib" along with his new(er) album, "devout catalyst" that featured jerry and david grisman among others.

i haven't thought about that in ages. thanks!

Edited by Guest
accuracy in album titling.

This was in the Dead Almanac:

KEN NORDINE

(taken from the Grateful Dead site)

You may not know the name, but you've heard The Voice. Since the 1940s, Ken Nordine has been known as radio's undisputed "King Of The Voice-overs." His impossibly resonant baritone has been heard extolling the virtues of everything from Levi's 501s to Slugeta Snail Bait. But in the deepest recesses of Ken Nordine's mind there exists a magical domain, several galaxies to the left of Madison Avenue. This is the world of Word Jazz.

Word Jazz is the name Ken gave to the unique art form he invented as a creative diversion from his day job. Falling into the cracks somewhere between Beat poetry, shaggy-dog storytelling and standup comedy (delivered sitting down), Word Jazz earned Nordine an avid cult following, with the release of a string of albums on various labels in the late 1950s and early '60s, and a National Public Radio series in the 80s. Among Ken's earliest and most rabid fans was a loose collection of Northern California seekers of fun, truth and music that eventually mutated into the Grateful Dead.

In 1991 the Dead's longtime sound wizard, Dan Healy, came up with the inspired notion of hooking up Nordine's golden throat and beautifully skewed vision with the music of such confirmed Ken-heads as Jerry Garcia, mandolin virtuoso David Grisman and piano/harmonica ace Howard Levy (of Bela Fleck's Flecktones). With Grisman's band-mates Joe Craven and Jim Kerwin completing the line-up (and another Word Jazz disciple, Tom Waits making a memorable cameo appearance,) Healy marched Ken & Co. into the Dead's recording studio and emerged with "Devout Catalyst," an amazing act of collaborative improvisation, with the musicians providing telepathic soundtracks for Nordine's strange and wonderful word-pictures. Ken said that recording with Garcia and friends was one of the two most rewarding experiences of his career the other being Fred Astaire dancing to Word Jazz on a 1960s TV special (not bad company, that!) Just about everyone who heard "Devout Catalyst" shared Nordine's enthusiasm the album was released to ecstatic acclaim, making many critics' lists of 1992's top albums, and was nominated for a Grammy Award as "Best Spoken Word Recording". The renewed interest in Word Jazz encouraged Nordine to try something he had rarely done before performing in front of a live audience. A highly successful appearance in Ken's hometown of Chicago was followed by a triumphant pair of shows at Bimbo's nightclub in San Francisco, as part of the 1992 S.F. Jazz Festival. Happily, Ken seems to have been bitten by the performing bug he joined the Grateful Dead onstage in Chicago last spring, and will be returning to the San Francisco Jazz Festival in November. The best news of all is that Nordine's 1992 shows were captured on tape by Dan Healy, for the brand-new live album "Upper Limbo," coming this fall from Grateful Dead Records. Word Jazz lives!

I have a disc of his from many years ago, called Devout Catalyst.

Send me a PT with some contact info, and I'll hook you up. (It might take me a while, because I just moved into a new house this weekend, and I'm already behind on many discs I need to send out when I unpack, but it'll get to you eventually.)

Cool voice on that guy.

Thanks alot stoneMtn. So kind!

I actually have that album... I have it out in my shed where i listen to it by the wood stove somtimes. Excellent album may i quote.

"she smelled of nutmeg and piss, and she gave me my very first kiss" "and she could fix any thing with string"

then there is somthing about scapula wings er somting.. great toon.

Ohh and what about that movie. they were going to get jerry to do the music.. and january flys too.. i think if i have time tomorrow ill throw it on.

P.S

are you in ontario now?

nattyMatty