Jambands.ca

Attn: Dual Citizens

AdamH

Can any U.S./Canadian dual citizenship holders tell me what I have to do with the U.S. govt to register for voting in the next election? People have been saying that you can't vote unless you actually reside in the U.S but I thought a proxy vote was legit in these circumstances.

A quick Google search on "dual citizenship voting rights" took me to:

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html

Question #17 is:

quote:

17.I am a dual US/Canadian citizen by birth. I was once told that if I ever voted in either an American or a Canadian election, I would lose citizenship in the other country. Is this true?

No. Neither US nor Canadian citizenship law says anything about losing citizenship as a result of voting in an election in another country.

Note that US law used to mandate loss of US citizenship for voting in a foreign election. However, this provision was struck down by the Supreme Court in Afroyim v. Rusk and was repealed by Congress in 1978.

Canada's current Citizenship Act (in force since 1977) says nothing at all about voting in foreign elections and loss of citizenship. If you are a citizen of some country other than Canada, of course, you will need to check the laws of that country in order to find out if you could endanger your citizenship in that country by voting in a US election.

Incidentally, US citizens living abroad (whether or not they happen to be dual citizens) should be aware that they may be legally entitled to vote in US federal elections. Even if you have not had any residential ties to the US for years and have no plans to return, you may still vote in federal elections based on your last place of residence before moving away from the US. In such cases, federal law prohibits your former state from declaring you a resident for state tax purposes simply because you have exercised this right to vote in a federal election. For more information on how to register and vote from outside the US, contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or visit the
of the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

Aloha,

Brad

Archived