Jambands.ca

Chartattack is looking for freelance writers and interns

Jaimoe

Here's the info and I think I'll apply:

Chart's Looking For Music Writers And Interns

Monday January 29, 2007 @ 06:00 PM

By: ChartAttack.com Staff

We want you to write for us!

Chart Communications is looking for both writers and interns to help contribute to our ChartAttack.com website and monthly Chart magazine.

All writer positions available are of the freelance, occasional contributor variety, and pay is modest. Music writers from all major Canadian cities will be considered, however we have specific interest in writers from the following places:

Toronto

Montreal

Saskatoon

What type of writers do we need?

We need MUSIC writers. If you don't feel you know as much as or more than your local record store employee about music, there's a strong likelihood you don't have the all-consuming zeal it requires to effectively navigate this very niche culture.

We're looking for people with all sorts of musical interests, but the contributors we need most right now are into the following things: rock, radio-rock, pop, indie rock, hip-hop, punk, R&B, metal, screamo, pop-punk, hardcore, electronic, dance and goth. A solid knowledge of Canadian artists in these various genres is a tremendous asset.

What will help your cause:

Being familiar with Chart magazine and ChartAttack.com, understanding the type of artists we like to cover, and how we cover them.

Professionalism, superb writing, reporting and interviewing skills, as well as an analytical flare and an understanding of pop music/culture.

Having good ideas. Anyone can do an interview and write a record review. We want people who can do those things and present them in fresh, entertaining ways.

A flexible schedule with some availability for interviews and assignments.

Seeing lots of shows and buying records. This leads us to believe that you actually pay attention to what's going on and care about music.

Previous music writing experience will be considered a tremendous asset.

What to send:

Write us a 400-to-500-word bio/resume about yourself, your musical interests and why you think you'd be a valuable contributor to Chart. You can also send us up to two clips of articles that you've written previously. For the added High Fidelity factor, also feel free to include the following top five lists: most recent records you bought; most recent concerts you've seen; and favourite bands of all time.

As an optional added segment, feel free to riff on one (and ONLY one) of these essay subjects (maximum 200 words):

My strangest encounter with a band.

Things I witnessed while Nelly Furtado's "Maneater" played at a club/party/event.

The best band gossip I heard this week.

How and where to send it:

Everything should be sent in the body of an email. Resumes with attachments will be deleted. Email it to aaron@chartattack.com with the subject line, "Music Writers Wanted — City," the city part being the actual city you're from.

If you send us a canned resume and a "please send me your writer guidelines" email, you'll be deleted. If you can't put any effort into it, neither can we.

For prospective interns:

We've got up to three positions available for unpaid internships, starting immediately, with an expected commitment until at least April.

To apply, write up something according to the writers wanted criteria above and send it in using the subject line, "Interns Wanted."

A premium will be placed on candidates who exhibit tremendous writing potential as well as knowledge of contemporary music. Music writing experience is an asset.

Other stuff:

No phone calls please. Only those being considered will be contacted.

Note: If you've sent us a resume in the last calendar year and are still interested in being considered as a contributor, please resend your package according to the above criteria.