Jambands.ca

REVIEW: Make it Reggae: DJ CZECH ~ IRIE BAND ~ MUVA SOUND SYSTEM & ZIRCA

Jay Funk Dawg

review from www.tribe.ca

Make it Reggae: DJ CZECH ~ IRIE BAND ~ MUVA SOUND SYSTEM & ZIRCA

What a fun nite!

Muva Soundsystem were just fantastic, brought a level of authentic reggae DJ vibes to the evening. The classic DJ and MC intro to the night, set the stage for the rest of evening.

The night started a bit slow, but by 11:30 the party was in full swing. I think the crowd really dug the venue and the sound. Crosstown has a legit chance of being an established venue, and It was great to have Make it Funky Crew to be there early in the venue's history.

Irie Band hit the stage with some powerful dub, again bringing an authentic Jamaican vibe to the joint. The band was tight, as they had just returned from a long East Coast Tour... Their dubs were mesmerizing, trancing out the audience with long drum & bass rocksteady and stepers riddims. Thank-fully they reached outside of the dub for some higher energy vibes leading into DJ CZECH's set, with some guitar heavy afrobeat - a la santana style and happy high life music. Be sure to check them out www.irieband.ca at the upcoming Marijuana March / Freedom Festival on May 5th @ Queen's Park if you haven't seen 'em yet.

CZECH hit the decks with some massive ragga breaks tracks. Looking healthier than ever, CZECH played a marathon 2 1/2 hour set that never seemed to get dull or repetetive. I though his mixes were really clean & he never strayed from making it a bangin' party. An old school crew a la Mad Bar came out to support, and say good bye to Czech, who is permanently moving to CZECH REPUBLIC with his wife. Having been to many of these parties, CZECH has become one of my all times favorites Funky Breaks DJs, from his sets at WEMF, Shambaala, FEZ & more, to his mixes ( BREAK BEAT MOUNTAIN !! LOL !!) - I salut you for helping create this great Canadian Breakbeats scene! Big ups CZECH, we hope you will come back soon!!

Ending off the night, ZIRCA kept up the pace with Drum and Bass and seemed to be having a lot of fun. I have been really impressed with Zirca lately, his sets at MiF & Mixed Bag have shown a lot of maturity and edge... I really liked his picture (with Big League Chu) in NOW for Mixed bag's 1 year review, it was much deserved.

Finally I can only say big ups to all the fly ladies who where there makin' MIF one of the most consistenly fun dance parties in the city... Damn you girls are cute.... ...now i just need to get some courage to talk to yas!

big ups nufunk & make it funky crew!

p.s. please post pictures !!!!

Edited by Guest