Jambands.ca

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Jaimoe

I caught the latest Harry Potter film last night. It's the least faithful adaptation of the five Potter books filmed so far and it is the most thrilling and dark. I think this is my favourite of the five so far. Many book elements were left-out of the movie, like the Quidditch match, some 'twistings' of plot and some characters had lessoned roles (like Draco Malfoy, Hagrid and McGonagall), but all these alterations and chops made for a more streamlined and inevitably better film. Imelda Staunton steals every scene she's in as the wicked Dolores Umbridge. The wizard battle at the end rivals Gandalf vs Saruman in The Two Towers. Highly recommended.

I actually really didn't enjoy the movie too much. I thought the script was far too stripped down to even stand-alone as an enjoyable movie (like when Malfoy and the Inquisitorial Squad show up unexplained with Neville, Luna, and Ginny near the end).

The battle at the end was good, though I would've really liked to see the Fountain of Magical Bretheren play it's part ... but that's relatively minor.

They also left out my favourite scene in the book, where Umbridge and her crew try and fire Hagrid.