Jambands.ca

Carbon/Silicon (Mick Jones & Tony James)

Big Wooly Mammoth

I just heard of this band - Carbon/Silicon. It is comprised of Mick Jones (Clash, BAD) and Tony James (Gen X, Sigue Sige Sputnik, Sisters of Mercy). There’s a great interview on Fresh Air which aired yesterday ( Link ). They have always been best friends and were in a band together back in the ‘70s. (In the interview they mention that the Kinks were, and still are, a big influence, so the music can’t be too bad!)

They released their first few “albums†online only. Only the latest, “The Crackup Suite†is still available on their web site. They have since released a couple of CDs. (I assume the others are around somewhere.) I’ve listened to it a couple of times - not bad.

They call this an adult band. No more pink hair. Actually, not much hair at all! And Tony James is playing guitar (as opposed to bass which he always played).

(I’ve subsequently just spent way too much time online reading about Tony in particular. I’ve always been a huge Sisters fan and was interested in what he had to say about his time in that band on the Sigue bio pages. I also learned that he wrote Russian Roulette by the Lords of the New Church, also a favourite band of mine. He was friends with Stiv Bators.)

I thought that this would be of interest to some of y’all.