Jambands.ca

Ottawa musicians (esp. drummers) take note!!!

Velvet

I'm not a drummer but I went to this a couple of years ago and learned some really cool stuff (improvising musicians ask me about gamelah-takey some time).

Billy Kilson - Drum Set Master Class

Saturday October 11/03, 1:00pm (Location TBA)

Renowned jazz musician Billy Kilson will be giving a drum set Master Class the afternoon of Saturday October 11/03 at 1:00pm.

Enrollment will be limited to around 30 people and the fee will $50.

A Grammy Award winner and Downbeat Critics Poll favorite, Billy Kilson is best-known for his work with Dave Holland's Quintet & Big Band.

This is a rare opportunity for area musicians to spend a couple of hours with a player Dave Holland has called: "One of the most creative drummers of our time."

To register (or for additional information), contact Wayne Eagles at wayne.eagles@rogers.com and/or leave voice mail at 613/599-9734.

(Billy is in town recording a CD project with Ottawa guitarist Wayne Eagles & Toronto-based double-bassist Mike Milligan)

Billy Kilson, short bio:

Since becoming a professional musician Billy Kilson has added his warm and individual style to a large variety of musical settings. In his early years he lived in Boston, studying at the Berklee College of Music, and with the great Alan Dawson, who also taught Tony Williams, one of Billy's drum heroes. Since then he has appeared on many records with such artists as Bob James, Dianne Reeves, Terence Blanchard, Greg Osby, Tim Hagens and Billy Childs to name a few. He also played on the Terrance Blanchard soundtrack for the Spike Lee film Malcolm X. Concert appearances include performances with Ahmad Jamal, Walter Davis Jr., Mark Whitfield, Cassandra Wilson, Al Jarreau, Larry Carlton, Donald Byrd and many others. An Endorsing Artist for DW Drums and Sabian Cymbals, in recent years he has toured and recorded extensively with the Dave Holland Quintet and Big Band, as well as his own ensemble, BK Groove.

For additional information, see: http://billykilson.com

Archived