Jambands.ca

Yowsah..Buck 65

AdamH

So Buck's show at Barrymore's last night was great. It felt like a real show that combined beats, humour, blurred lines of spoken word, poetry and song, and shoe smelling. The guy is such a good entertainer, and so thoughtful in his lyrics that he was almost better without his backing band.

I was there too, and yes, lest people doubt your reporting, I concur about the man's talents. He put on a very entertaining show, and the place was packed. Dude can rhyme...he even rapped an old Woody Guthrie tune.

I don't particularly care for his in-between stage banter though. He sort of does this act where he talks like someone who's a mix between Brad Pitt in the Fight Club and that old WWF wrestler Val Venus (minus the sex talk). I don't know, it rubs me the wrong way, but the guy's still an incredible performer.

I should add that I heard him earlier in the day on that CBC radio program, "All in a Day," and he was talking about how people at some of his shows have taken to throwing bacon at him, and he's a vegetarian. Somebody did throw a shoe at him, but no bacon.

I was totally disappointed by the show last night. I can even offer a Buck 65 quote as my mini-review of the show:

'Eyes on fire, his volume was blistering, no-one ever told him the power of whispering..'

I've seen him in Ottawa maybe 8 times, and each time was a totally different show, different bands, solo, etc... Last night his band sucked. Charles Austin (from Superfriendz) on guitar is such a tool. "Hey, reverb will make this sound good!" Not so. And Mike Catano on drums (original Thrush Hermit drummer) can't keep a beat. He messed up way too often...

Buck's scratches were all very similar, his dynamics were crazy (bad thing; he's got a good delivery when he sticks to the gruff voice and doesn't try to push it).

I was mainly disappointed with the setlist. Talkin' Honky Blues is a good album, but I don't think he's figured out how to make it flow live yet. Square translates really well live for some reason, but this new one may be a bit too experimental right now (meaning his band has to rehearse rehearse rehearse).

Oh well. Maybe once he's figured out some stuff and his band can get tighter he'll come back and blow me away like the other times I've seen him. But last night was a real let-down.

AD

Archived