Jambands.ca

ottawa bluegrass tomorrow

snarfmaster C

I'm gonna try to make it to this:

(from the Ottawa Valley Bluegrass Music Association - www.valleygrass.ca)

January Concert - In Honour of David Tinkoff

Our first concert of the New Year is scheduled for January 26, 2009 at the Police Legion Hall on Catherine Street in Ottawa.

* Date: January 26, 2009

* Time: 7:00 p.m.

* Tickets: $15 (available at the door only)

Following tradition, this concert is a memorial in honour of our dear, departed friend, David Tinkoff. This year featuresShady Blue; The Blue River Band; and SweetWater. In addition, David’s ex-bandmate, Norm Rennieis our special guest for the evening.

The fourth annual David Tinkoff Award will also be announced and presented during the evening. Past winners are Sue and Rich McCarthy; Garry Greenland; and Steve Hanes.

For those who didn't know Dave Tinkoff:

Dave was an older man with a debilitating stutter, and he was a well respected bluegrass mandolin player. When he was a kid he got to meet Bill Monroe (I believe it was) and he was so inspired he decided to dedicate his life to playing. I knew him as the janitor at the Folklore Centre, and he was a loveable crotchety man who always called me "h-h-h-h-h-hippie". He died crossing the street to get to the Folklore Centre, he got hit by a car and thrown into another. I always suspected that Arthur created the job for him at the Folklore Centre to help him out, and that proved true, as after Dave died Arthur didn't hire another janitor, the store staff cleans up now.

Anyways, a good guy who (to my mind) deserves a tip of the hat if nothing else for living a life of music.