Jambands.ca

Phish feature todays NYTimes

zero

There's a great article on the Hampton shows and the reunion in general on the cover of todays NYTimes Arts section. There's not even a whiff of the pejorative jamband schtick that seems to always come across at least in the subtext, it's actually quite laudatory I'd say.

It mentions that in rehearsal they've plunged into their 'most complicated music'. After a Stash rehearsal at Hampton Page remarked "Thaty's the best jam in five years".

Most promising was this bit:

"They started their Vermont rehearsals not with their countryish three-chord songs but with their intricate, suitelike songs that verge on progressive rock, like 'Split Open and Melt' and 'Foam'. Although Phish has recorded demo versions of 20 songs for its next album, only one is likely to be heard this weekend 'Backwards Down the Number Line' a fond birthday song that asks, 'Do you know why we're still friends?"

For those attending Hampton:

"Figuring out what to play for its first three reunion concerts became 'one of those exercises in overthought that Phish is known for', Mr. Anastasio said. Band members went in a circle naming songs they wanted to play, deducted some, consulted a list of every song Phish ever played, did some trading and eventually arrived at about 80 songs (!!!). Mr. Anastasio started constructing three nights' sets. 'It's like Tetris,' he said as he showed a visitor the list, a printout full of handwritten changes from six different pens.

Now that sounds promising!! This gave me chills:

And they resolved to be the version of Phish they prized the most: the intently practiced, well-prepared Phish from the mid-90's.

Also they mention Coran Capshaw as Phish's Manager (Red Light Management) so I guess Palooska's out. Funniest quote was probably Fishman on Coventry:

If there was ever a concert that represented a band smacking into a wall, that was it, I think that was one of the great train wrecks in live concert history