Jambands.ca

Charlie’s Burgers: Waiter, there’s a bug in my soup!

nibbler

...“I think the worms are a little overcooked,†one of my tablemates announces with the authority of a true entomophagist. We’re seated at a long, communal table along with 40 other diners at the mysterious Charlie’s Burgers’ latest anti-restaurant experiment: a 10-course dinner featuring insects.

Eating worms brings new meaning to underground dining.

Charlie’s Burgers is the guerrilla dinner party that features top chefs cooking in unusual venues. As with all its events, a certain cloak-and-dagger mystery surrounds the evening. I am told to arrive at a location just prior to dinner where I will find one of Mr. Burgers’ associates. He is waiting with a box of stinkbug-garnished chocolate cupcakes that he offers along with an envelope in which to “donate†$155 for the dinner, complete with wine pairings, and directions to the event locale a block away. (Despite its unappetizing name, the stinkbug adds only a bit of crunchiness and not a distinct flavour.)...

Read the entire article and SEE THE PICTURES here at the Globe and Mail website

I'd try it because I've always had a "try everything once" attitude and not because I'm trying to prove anything to anyone like this commenter might believe.

HaHa! This is another article for the gullible secular fools. Just dress them up in a high society setting, has high nutritional value for the health conscious, historically and culturally accepted, and is endorsed by master culinary chefs, then it must be okay to eat insects and other forms of low life. So, some atheist/evolutionist secular fools would rush out to out-class others in the posh/cultured society by promoting its cool and hip to eat insects/worms, thinking they have advanced themselves further in the evolutionary chain. How ridiculously sad? Rejecting our very instincts that eating such detestable creatures are disgusting and it makes us sick to our stomach, just to put up a public face to show others that they are more cultured, just to fit in and to get accepted by others.

Ever since I was a little person I would always order the oddest thing on the menu. I still do.

Glad to hear you're the adventurous eater Ms.Huxtable!

I find the sustainable protein argument compelling, as well as the "pesticide free" argument hehe. The way toxic chemicals bio-accumulate in the fat and meat of birds, fish, pigs, cattle etc is far less appetizing to me than the thought of worm pizza cooked by a gourmet chef. (who teaches culinary arts at Niagara College)

Theres a creepy-crawly tasting featuring at least one of the master culinary chefs mentioned in the Charlie's Burgers article coming up in a couple weeks time. Apparently its a much more reasonably priced affair:

Start Time:Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 11:00am

End Time: Monday, February 15, 2010 at 4:00pm

Street: 2405 Niagara Parkway

City/Town: Niagara Falls, ON

Here's a link to the facebook Bug-a-Licious Insect Food Festival event page