Jambands.ca

Brew your own beer?

Jakis

Yep, back in school we used to have a great place in Waterloo. I can't remember the name now, but it was a part of the Huether Hotel.

We didn't get to make the recipes though- they had a menu and you basically ordered and picked it up two weeks later.

The only problem I ever had with the process was the storing of 100's of bottles in a fridge at once- and keeping all of the damn bottles BT HOLE FREE until the next batch.

The last time I did it the menu listing was for Goosehead. It tasted EXACTLY like Moosehead but only cost about 0.30 per 500 mL bottle.

I'm about to get into to this with a friend of mine. We were discussing it just last weekend. He's made some really cool beers over the years. He makes it from scratch (buys the yeasts I believe) and brews it in his basement. I don't know much about the process to be honest, but I know his last batch of beer he used a ton of the cherries from his yard - man it was strong and tasty, no idea on % but I can safely say three bottles had our heads spinning.

We both prefer more english/euro style beers (ales/stouts etc) so were going that route - I'll have to post back when we get started. Hopefully later this month.

[color:red][edit to add]

The book he told me to search out was called "The joy of brewing" (1st edition) apparently it's a really informative book and I need to get reading so I understand what were are doing as my brew will be just that, mine and he's only going let me do it at his house as he has the huge pots for boiling and other gear for it and the space. My house just won't work.

Edited by Guest

Yup, I do it in my basement as well with the yeast, malts, hops and boiling etc. The book I have is How To Home Brew, also really good. I have done that too sean at a place in toronto called ferementations but don't really consider that brewing yourself. It's amazing esau you can really make some amazing beers that are hard to find in Canada (ie. delicous craft beers).