Jambands.ca

Genesis- Peter Gabriel vs. Phil Collins

Going on a Genesis kick lately. I must admit my preference for the Phil Collins era of the band. Peter Gabriel material like A Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Selling England By the Pound have their moments, but the albums usually fail to hold my attention for the duration.

Abacab and Genesis are great albums that take the Pink Floyd formula of epic song writing, and really give it a polish that makes it more accessible and easier to listen to without succumbing to the three-minute radio song formula. Collins also has a much more powerful voice for a lead singer, and easily overpowers Peter Gabriel's art-rock musings.

Genesis In Concert 1972 - Past Daily SoundboothThe first Genesis song with Phil Collins on vocals

• 3 weeks later...

I like them both and dont want to choose ... each was great with genesis and solo 

phil's voice is one of the finest pop vox ever, and i'd even argue it is THE best 

i'd also argue that gabriel's ability to paint with music is unparalleled ... family snapshot is one of the most evocative songs ever written