Jambands.ca

why can't i just FF this pause in Divided Sky

secondtube

Are you talking about a lack of skt. files?

I know I can't fast forward my shows while in SHNamp if they don't have the skt. files with the SHN.

Someone was trying to teach me how to create them,but I was sorta lost to how it was done.

well, using mKw, when you encode your files from wav to shn, there is an option to append those .skt files directly into the shn, so that you can skip through a song in shn format, without the .skt files...

most, i'd say about 3/4 of the shn shows i get have the .skt files built into them, but i guess this phish show is part of the 1/4....

oh well, this smoking Wolfman's is making up for it....

dsbd from the Gorge 97

edit: now that this WB is finishing, i'd like to say, this could very well be the best wolfmans brother i've ever heard....

Ok, I know what they are I was just wondering if thats what you meant.

I find it bothersome somtimes,especially if you planned on keep the original in SHN.Having to decode then encode again is sort of a waste since if I wanted the show in wav I wouldn't worry about it at all.

This was what someone gave me in an email to attempt a solution to the problem,as I mentioned I sort of got lost,so I opted to decode to wav.

Here's one approach that preserves the original seed but makes the skts fairly manageable:

First, you need to have the Shorten executable installed (see the Install.txt file in the zip).

Next, create a batch file with the following contents:

for %%f in (*.shn) do shorten -s "%%f"

md skt

move *.skt skt

pause

Running this (from the same folder as the shns) will create skt files for each shn, then copy them into a subfolder, on XP or Win2K. So now you just have a folder, rather than 10-30 skt files, with the shns.

Finally, you need to change your WinAmp settings, so it can find the skt files, by going into Preferences (Ctrl+P), Plug-Ins, Input, then clicking on the ShnAmp plug-in, then Configure. Where it says "SHN Seek Table Directory" enter skt - then it will always look for a subfolder called skt.

To get the ShnAmp plug in, look in the upper right section of etree home page, in the Software section.

For easy downloads you might zip the whole skt folder if you're putting it on an ftp or newsgroup, as it's not very large (about 1MB for a long show).

Creating a Windows batch file

A Windows batch file is just a text file with a .bat extension; each line of text is a command line which Windows will run in the "command prompt" mode. So copy the lines of text into a txt file in Notepad, and save it as (or rename it) *.bat - in this case, perhaps skt.bat - once that's done, double-clicking should run the batch file. Note that there is no directory or path information, these assume (and require) that you've copied the *.bat file into the same directory as the shn files. (Unless you modify the bat file.)

Seeing Windows file extensions

One of the unfortunate default settings for Windows is that it hides file extensions (like .bat). It's easier to work with and rename files if you can see the full name. Open a folder and go to Tools, Folder Options, View and be sure that Hide file extensions for known file types is NOT checked.

-------------------------------------------------

I was also told that foobar2000 works alot easier if you want create skt. files,but I haven't bother trying this otion yet.

Archived