Jambands.ca

Jomomma in Guelph

kung

Ebar is in the Bookshelf building (book store, cinema, restaurant bar)- it's actually a pretty cool concept. There was a good crowd out. About twice as much as an underattended Jimmy Swift gig I saw there a few months back. But apparently not as packed as when House of Velvet a local band plays. Bubba Gibs I haven't been to, talked to a kid there last night who's playing there and said they have an alright sound system and what not.

Caught Jo at the Ebar in Guelph last night. Never seen them before, but they were smoking. Really high consistent energy all the way through. Definitely going to have to catch them in Kitchener with Nero next week. Their tune 'Briefly' does alot for me. They pulled it out at just the right point to bring it down a notch. Geoff Hilhorst has got great tone and style and tone to his keys: "there are some things you can't hide".

Good to hear that Jomomma were back in Guelph.. Was there a good sized crowd? I remember seeing them at the Trash in Guelph last year sometime and the crowd wasn't so great. Also where is this new Ebar place? Any good?

And where is Bubba Gibbs? Man I'm outta the Guelph loop..

Hey, I just wanted to add my .02 regarding Jomomma at the EBar last Thursday.

I have seen this band probably at least 25-30 times. I have to honestly say that lately it was getting to the point when I thought I should wait a while to see them again. I have just been getting used to the same "scene" at each show.

But Thursday night at the EBar they seemed to have new life. The show was fantastic and the crowd was loving it. The songwriting seems to have been honed to the point where they sound better than the Burts (all flaming emails about that comment can be directed to phan420@hotmail.com).

I am extremely excited to hear the new cd that the band is preparing to lay down locally and hope that some of these new tunes show their face such as the possible radio hit "Glad". The sound has certainly been fleshed out since the change of lineup before last summer. The one thing that really struck me was how well Jeff (keys) and John (guitar) seem to work together throughout the jams to provide that wonderful tension and release between the notes of the guitar and the fat chords of the keys.

If you have yet to see Jomomma or have been waiting to jump back into their funk shows- DO IT! They are really playing well and seem to be very focused as a unit. The jams very very well played and satisfied even my raver friends who were in attendance for the first time.

Luke it was nice to meet you, I am sure we'll hookup sometime soon in the G Town. And to the band, MK (the sound was perfect) and everyone else who made for a fun night- Thanks.

Peace

Sean

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture." FZ

ps. now isn't that quote amusing coming from the most frequent reviewer on the board. wink.gif" border="0

Well said, Northern Wish, and I hope to see you tomorrow night (Thursday) in Kitchener for the Jomomma/nero double-bill. That should be a wickedly wonderful show!

You write "The jams very very well played and satisfied even my raver friends..." and I can see why, as the band has included some long "trance dance" jams to the last few live shows that I've been to.

I don't know if "... they sound better than the Burts" because I haven't seen BNB in a while, but Jomomma certainly has a great thing going and they have really progressed in the last year. In my opinion, it is definitely well-worth the drive and price of admission to see/hear them play. And I think that their upcoming studio recording holds a lot of promise, as I can see some of their songs as coming across extremely well in the studio.

Peace, Mark