Jambands.ca

The Slip.com update

U.FProductions

Check these new clips out there is a great demo of The Shouters acoustic with Brad and Nathan that is tear inducing for sure. They played really well last night I gather and people are saying they're 'on fire' and see 'em while you can that this is likely a career changing tour!

i've been saying that i thought if there was to be a defining show in the direction the band is taking.. if they decide to run with it, and it looks like they are.. that show would be the the ice cream truck... i've listened to some stuff leading up to it from the spring and earlier in the summer, and then BAM!! here they are... evolve was more or less an abbreviated extension of that... i'll say it again, i cant wait to see where time takes these guys!

but yeah, this is definitely the time when you want to be seeing The Slip... i cant fu©king wait for october!!!

I think that remains to be seen Guigsy. I took a listen to those new tracks and like what I heard, especially The Shouters. But the "lots of socks" thing is one of the first times where I've felt that the Slip are starting to merge into the traffic on Highway Sigur Ros (credit my GF for the comparison). Atmospheric soundscapes and sonic layering are cool and it's very much the rage right now. But I guess I'm thinking turn down the Ros and turn up the Flaming Lips...i.e. more absurdity and experiential music and less staring down your nose. Well, that's my take on it.

And that doesn't mean that I don't like it, and fir frick sake don't anyone lump me in with the "Play Nellie Jean" contingent, but I'm asking myself if this is where they're headed full-time, or is this just another phase in their endlessly exciting evolution (I love E!)

hahah... no lumping in of anything here... yeah, i can see what you're saying, and i agree with the more absurdity and experimentation... i think these guys have the wits about them to take their music to levels i havent heard yet... if they so choose to do... all in time... and i've been askin myself the same question as to the direction.. but i guess what i was driving at was, if you listen to some shows leading up to ICT, and say a newer song like Proud, it doesnt have the same gusto as it does at ICT, but the potential is there, you can hear the potential... then to hear where they arrived with it, i think if they continue with stuff like this, ICT will be tell tale.. i mean, that show is very much about the experimentation and layering and all that... like i said, im just real excited to be surprised with what's next.

I like the sounds of highway traffic Sigur Ros stuff! That box of socks sounded like he was atmospherically playing around with chord progressions familiar to songs like Through The Iron Gate (Lazilee) and The Shouters. I know what you mean though. The thing I've been noticing is how the whole sound sounds murky and submerged as if enveloped in a giant opium bubble. I have been wanting the bubble to burst and them to launch into an ultra-clean ultra-present tone- by way of contrast at least.