Jambands.ca

This Saturday!! who's in??

SaggyBalls

I know that Mr. Something Something are playing the rainbow on Saturday Feb 12th...

if you haven't seen them already they're loads of fun...TIGHT players with serious push!

Mr. Something Something's website

can't say for sure that i'll be there - depends on the weekend's plans (toronto on Sunday till Tuesday?? going for a bit of a trip) but I would suggest THAT for a good time.

it's at the Rainbow Bistro.

holy sh!t, could the Rainbow use a new webmaster or what!!

Wow! Just noticed that a guy I know pretty well (Larry) is the drummer for Mr. Something Something. He's a great percussionist (studied a lot in West Africa), so I imagine they've got some good beats going on.

Wow! Just noticed that a guy I know pretty well (Larry) is the drummer for Mr. Something Something. He's a great percussionist (studied a lot in West Africa), so I imagine they've got some good beats going on.

The first time I saw them, I hadn't heard much beyond the MP3s from the website. Six bars into the soundcheck, which was only drums, I was muttering things like, "The drummer is sick..." At a subsequent show, I watched him from up in the balcony, and noticed that he was playing patterns with his left hand alone, that I couldn't play with both hands. He doesn't play that hard/loud, but plays a lot, and he's a machine.

Damn, now I can't wait for Saturday! Bring it on!

Aloha,

Brad

i might wander down to this... i was thinkin of stayin home with my.. well... books? yeah i dunno, i wasn't going to go but they are a lot of fun. there was a big crowd there last time too, not skancs, and they were gettin down!!! turns out we're not the only ones in ottawa who like to shake it to great live bands.... :D

mr SS put on a great show, as always!

bradM mentioned in another thread that he enjoyed the latest fatties d/l (in part) b/c it has a very positive feel, and lifts your spirits; this is something i would definitely say about mr ss. every song was really upbeat, everyone was dancing (and it was a packed house!). you hear people describe music with a 'rich texture' of sounds, i'd say mr ss is a perfect example of that. lots and lots of percussion (i tried to pay particular attention to the drummer since people were raving about him!) and a horn section (2 saxes, i think) are what make this band unique, to me. i heard them being likened somewhat to antibalas; i've yet to see antibalas so i can't comment.

oh yeah - and the lead vocalist! he is definitely also a big part of what makes this band stand out, IMHO. he is really something else. i forget his name, i think ewan... anyway, he IS the music. i was mentioning to someone that watching him seemed like i was watching one of those ceremonies where people get possessed and they start speaking in tongues... it was really like he was a marionette and the music was getting channeled thru him. probably sounds a bit dippy but it's true. a very strong stage presence, and a nice part was that he almost always had a huge smile.

nice to see a packed house, and even though i walked down there by myself, i ran into a bunch of friendly faces which was great.

sooo... thanks for another fun night mr somethingsomething! always a good time.

Wow. That was the best Mr.SS show I've seen. They just seemed to let loose a little more, and take it out past the edges of what they'd done before.

One of the things I like about them is the way they "layer" rhythms: the drums will be doing one pattern, which you can dance to, while the bass does a different pattern, which you can also dance to on its own, or you can dance to the combination of them, and the bass pattern will make you re-interpret what you thought the drum pattern was. Other instruments add other layers, and more ways of interpreting them.

The band started at least two of their three sets by doing a "parade" through the bar (both levels), playing as they went, which set the stage (so to speak) for the way they involved the audience in the show.

As to what meggo said, the frontman (he's not just a singer; more of a master of ceremonies) is a blast to watch, and gives off an infectious enthusiasm. Like The Spades, Mr. Something Something is, to me, a band that's not necessarily considered to be a "jamband", but which could easily be liked by a lot of us.

Aloha,

Brad