Jambands.ca

What is the deal with Trey Bashing?

Deeps

I wasn’t directing any suggestion of immaturity or negativity your way MoMack, I think those were brought up as a general response, not specific to you.

I re-read your posts and it seems the central offence to you as far as Phish/Trey goes is monetary. However, you apply that to a subjective test of left/right idealism and I would counter that that is your own construction, not the way it really is necessarily. As money rolls in, concepts of copyright protection become more important; there are exponentially more people in the lots, there are exponentially more violations of copyright. And, as far as I can tell, if you don’t protect your images and copyrights, you effectively waive them, leaving your defence weakened when the time comes for Quaker State to issue a Trey Anastasio Motor Oil without his permission. I’d say it is not the fans that Skelton and crew were so much concerned about when they were operating entirely under the cultural radar. But with growth came real world issues larger than a kid in a lot selling a homemade sticker with Fishman’s likeness on it. But you can’t pick and choose at that point.

“I mean, to say people Trey bash because they're stupid or immature isn't really much of an argument is it?

Well, how is it not? I fail to see how it is any more or less pertinent than saying people bash Trey because of a perceived shift from left to right on economic concerns. Judging from the level of analysis I see daily on cosmic vacuums like Phantasy Tour, I’d say the “immature” charge holds up nicely. I recall someone out there trying to initiate a class action lawsuit against Phish in regards to Coventry. People are now complaining about Trey ticket prices and not having yet heard the band yet. I’d say that is yet another example of spoiled immaturity. Because they really don’t have to buy a ticket if they don’t think it is worth it, or don’t trust the product. And as far as Coventry goes, yeah I’m sure it was a huge disappointment (I readily admit I didn’t go) but a class-action lawsuit, c’mon! They just feel that they are not receiving what it is they think they deserve and so wah wah wah. Life sucks sometimes and people and things and circumstances change. And sometimes you get royally screwed.

Trey bashing is as predictable as the turn of the seasons. What do you think the reaction will be to Trey’s new CD?

oh and by the way, Trey Anastasio had french toast and a large glass of orange juice for breakfast this morning. CONFIRMED!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think the reaction will be to Trey’s new CD?

that depends on if it sucks or not. I mean come on did you listen to undermind??

people bash because they are disappointed in a man who took them to such great hieghts and then started pissing in their ears.

besides, making fun of people is what the internet was made for.

just remember