Jambands.ca

more web building/pics questions...

secondtube

Ok, i've activated my home page (isp opened the section on their sever), and i've uploaded an basic html page, which works, and have uploaded some pics, which i can access publicly.

Now what i need to know is, how do i take my 2048x1536x24 sized jpgs down to a more viewable format. ie, less than 800x600.

I've already downloaded photoshop 6.0 for win98 (thank you kazaa), but i'm still learning all the ins and outs of the program. I'm sure somewhere in there i can shrink the photo's, but all i've figured out is how to crop them, which isn't exactly what i want to do.....

Also, i dont want to take the pics in a format less than 8x600, as i want to preserve the quality of the original file.

Anyone know what i need to do here? Also, is there an easy thumbnail, picture browser program out there? In school, all we learned was basic html, created in notepad.

All info is greatly appreciated....

Steve

Hey tube,

Open yous pics in photoshop and click the option in the file menu. You now have all sorts of options for making your pic smaller. You can choose GIF or JPG. For photos you want to use JPG. You can then choose the compression level and the quality. To get the pixel size down near the bottom right you should have two Tabs, one saying Color Table and the other saying Image Size, It is in the Image Size Dialog box where you can change your pixel size. leave the constrain Proportions checked so you don't skew your image.

Matt

Hey Steve,

Another feature that might be just what your looking for, till you get to know photoshop a little better, allows you to automaticly make a web photo gallery.

Go under the file menu, and you'll see an option down near the bottom called automate, within you'll find an option for web gallery. Once you go in there you can set sizes for your thumbnails, images etc... You just select the directory you want and it'll even build the html pages for you.

Once you get to know the program a little better you'll find alot of options under the image menu that allow you to resize, adjust levels etc...

have fun!

If you're just looking to change the size of an image go into the Image menu and select Image Size. that will allow you to resize a large image to whatever size you want.

When you're saving for the web use the File menu, sleect Save for Web, and choose your output - JPG, GIF, etc. You can play around with the colour palettes too depending on how much control you want over file size, etc.

Photoshop is a great program. I have been using it for 6 years now and I still can't use all the features. The more you play with the program the more you can learn. It is amazing some of the stuff it does.

Oh yeah, if you're really going to use it a lot you should register your illegal copy!

Colin

quote:

Oh yeah, if you're really going to use it a lot you should register your illegal copy!

bah, once software drops about 800% in price, to the price in which it actually costs to produce (plus pay the programmers), then maybe i'll pay for some software....

'till then, i'm sticking with kazaa.

Archived