Jambands.ca

Demonoid is back

Northern Wish

I'm still skeptical if this is a legit demonoid to be honest. Since it's been well know that their database was compromised (along with user accounts) and that a few fake sites had been created using it. One rumored to have been created by law enforcement (a reaching rumor I know), the site disappeared quickly after that rumor went viral.

Back in january I posted this about demonoid's return: http://jambands.ca/f/index.php/topic/67029-demonoid/?hl=demonoid

Torrentfreak reported this in that article I posted. I underlined the info I find most relevant. Since it's not the .com I have suspicions. 

While the above is good news for those who hold Demonoid dear, there are still plenty of uncertainties regarding the comeback. For example, it is still unknown whether Demonoid users can still use their old accounts, as the database may have been compromised.

Last year a mysterious replacement surfaced, using a copy of the Demonoid user and torrent database. The operator of the spin-off claimed not to be related to the Demonoid owners, but he did have a copy of the site’s database.

The tracker that was revived today uses Demonoid’s original .com domain, so it’s presumably backed by part of the old crew.

When this was announced a little while ago, I looked into it and it appeared like this was legit.  Their leech/seeder counters don't seem to be working at all so it seemed like there wasn't any activity, but after trying a couple of torrents, there was definitely activity.   

Well, with some further digging I found that the .com .ph and .me are all legit demonoid addresses. Apparently the original crew that ran it had all three of those registered. So, it would appear it is back up and not a fake. I happily eat my words, but my suspicions about security and account stability remain. So, I'll be sticking to the small private trackers I frequent now-a-days.

When this was announced a little while ago, I looked into it and it appeared like this was legit.  Their leech/seeder counters don't seem to be working at all so it seemed like there wasn't any activity, but after trying a couple of torrents, there was definitely activity.   

Funny thing is, the L/S counter and user ratios never did seem to work correctly, even back in the day. My ratio never was accurate. I remember that the site was registering my d/l and u/l even though I wasn't logged in to my account. Seems it was basing things on IP over account.

I'm more convinced now that it's legit from your extra digging.   I don't think I paid much attention to the counters the last time around, but when it was first pronounced resurrected, the lack of L/S made me think it wasn't really pointing to any real files.