Jambands.ca

Warsawpack Tonight

\/\/illy

I've seen 'em quite a few times and I happen to be listening to their new studio album right this minute! [smile]

I think they're awesome. I bet more than a few on this board wouldn't like 'em that much. They've got a lineup of about 7 people, complete with tenor sax, flute, deep heavy baritone sax, dj, an MC, etc. Its slowed down loungey hip hop based funk with a strong anti-corporate political message.

Check out samples on their website.

A band called LAL is opening for them tonight too. “Focused rhythms… Afro-musical traditions as jazz and hip-hop, combined with drum and bass from Toronto”.

$6.

Great band, I’m going. Maybe hook up before the show Will?

“With pre millennia in all its glory - the western world scrambles for bottled water and provisions, holding their breath for computer execs. Hamilton Harbor continues to pump 100% liberalized trade through the faucet. Corporate radio relentlessly spoon-feeds a generation polished mediocrity. Warsawpack is born.”

“Warsawpack is a hybrid of sorts. A musical mutant cross-species. It brings schooled jazz artists and accomplished hip hop practitioners to a smokey basement - to talk U.S. foreign policy and jam on a groove-driven rhythm section. It is funk. It has rock. It rolls. It hops. Critics and fans haven't given it a name yet. A genre. A genus. A species. But that doesn't keep them from talking.”

Jaroslav Wassmann - bass

Simon Oczkowski - tenor sax / flute

Agit Rao - guitar

Adam Bryant - baritone sax

Aaron Sakala - turntables

Matt Cormier - drums

Lee Raback - vocals

Wow. That was an impressive evening of music. So much passion in the delivery of the lyrics: You can't help but feel it course through you.

Tequila shooters? You guys are out of control! Why do I hurt like I do? Oh, that's right: Tequila shooters!? You guys are out of control. Wait, I already said that. Oh oh.

I think this might need to be a sober, calm, evening at the fatties and the bgb.

Archived