Jambands.ca

From fiction at The Horseshoe, Tuesday

Jaimoe

Check out the band From Fiction if you have the time this Tuesday. They are the headliner for The Horseshoe's Nu Music night. They recently had a good write-up in Now Magazine and more impressively, this was after playing only 2 gigs together as a band. Now described their sound as being a cross between Ornette Coleman meets The Velevet Underground . I'd like to add that Fiction's dueling guitars remind me of the great proto-punk/jam 70's CBGB's legends: Television . I'd also like to add that they kick some serious ass. See you there hopefully. Oh yeah, it's FREE.

I saw these guys at Sneaky Dee's on a Sunday this summer, which is a big music/band night there. They really impressed me and I ain't easy to impress. An old school friend from Ryerson runs the Sunday night gigs at Sneaky Dee's. He's also in an up-and-coming Canadian band called: The Creeping Nobodies. Uncle Seth's Jay Moonah knows this dude too. I know the bass player in From Fiction, but had no idea they were good until I saw them this summer. And they've left a lasting impression.

I think Nu Music Night is free, but it usually depends on the band. I've paid before, but other times I haven't. There's 3 bands on the bill, so there may be a small cover. Damn. I made plans before the Free Fiction show, or I would be catching Uncle Seth. Any time I can see Jay Moonah perform for minimal money is worth it.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Any time I can see Jay Moonah perform for minimal money is worth it.

Yeh, most people I know tend not to want to pay a lot for the privilege! [Wink]

Uncle Seth are back in full-band mode on Saturday at Reilly's if you're interested, also a pay-what-you-can show. Should be a great one actually, they've got guest bass player Attila Barazka who's a monster.

Actually ended up driving Seth-singer Tara home, she had an early morning so I never got over to the 'shoe. How was it?

Peace,

- Mr. M.

From Fiction were really good. They were in full energy glory, with lots of their trademark time-changes and aggressive drumming. This was their last show before they take a 3 month hiatus to re-tool and record an album. FF is a bit of improvising away from being a significant band in the live music scene in Canada - they may already be there regardless. Note: Kingston's non-finest David Usher was checking out FF. Another note: He dances like a sissy. Really embarrassing actually.