Jambands.ca

Poor Ole Pete Best

Rob Not Bob

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:
I've always liked that old tune they used to do "Some Other Guy"....but all in all I lump that Anthology 1 in with Live at the BBC, in the "rarely listen to" pile....the other Anthologys'...now that's another story....
..the DVD's are out Apr. 1...! definitely buying those!

While it doesn't have anything as transcendent as Anth. 2's "A Day In The Life" or Anth. 3's "Long And Winding Road", Anthology 1 has some interesting and, most importantly, fun stuff on it. I have a 9 CD Bootleg of the Complete Beatles BBC Sessions that is pretty fun too.

Rob Not Bob

Yeah, there are some really old recordings on there. Nice to have, but not great to listen to for the most part.

I listened to that Love me Do a little while ago and realized for the first time how brutal that was. It threw off the vocals BIG TIME.

They could have done it better if they did the BGH way and invited Mr.Musicface in on harp and leave out the damn drums [Wink]

Well, I was listening to the Beatles Anthology 1 for the first time in a while, and stubbed my ears upon the drumming of Pete Best in the audition of Love Me Do for George Martin. I have heard that he was a much better drummer than he was given credit for, but hearing his performance on this track it isn't too difficult to see why he was dropped from the band : he fudges the beat on a couple of noticeable instances, he plays the same basic rhythm as he does on all of the other stuff with him that I heard, and he *drags*. It makes me think of a review of the track : "displaying such wobbly sticksmanship when compared with the enthusiasm of those up front, one is reminded of Scottish goalkeepers." Are there any tracks that Beatle-ologists know of that make the case in defense of poor old Pete?

Rob Not Bob

I've always liked that old tune they used to do "Some Other Guy"....but all in all I lump that Anthology 1 in with Live at the BBC, in the "rarely listen to" pile....the other Anthologys'...now that's another story....

..the DVD's are out Apr. 1...! definitely buying those!

Archived