Jambands.ca

NRBQ (Big Al)

kung

I wasn't getting any play on this in the Sisters Euclid thread so I had to repost. Kevin Breit has a tune I saw him do in an improv context with Jesse Stewart a percussionist from Guelph and I think his FolkAlarm bass player who may or may not be Jeff Bird- the song is called Big Al. Al Anderson was one of the New Rhythm and Blues Quartet (featured in a live segment in one episode of the Simpsons- as the credits roll and they were also playing in a ramshackle bar in cartoon form). They are perhaps the most influential unknown band going on something like 35 years. Big Al passed away in '93 and is the player's player i.e. Kevin Breit. So where's the love for NRBQ.

holy moley. he's been busy.

i've heard of nrbq, but never actually heard them (except for that simpson's episode!) i have been meaning to find them or something by them for a few years but i always forget. they seem like a quiet little gem... (quiet, figurative only) one of those bands you don't hear too much about but when you finally get ahold of them you wonder how you lived without them for so long. goes to show again, so much music, so little time! thanks for bringing them up.

I'm an idiot...I have an NRBQ CD "message for the message", but I must've gotten it within a stack of CD purchases, 'cuz this one seems to have fallen by the wayside (only played a couple of times). Guess this'll be the next one to get heavy rotation in my discman. It appears the album was released in 1994, so I guess this was Al Anderson's final album. He's on it, and several tunes were cowritten by him. Thanks for the heads up Kung (and see ya soon).