Jambands.ca

Fat Cats & Mr. Something Something - last night

CyberHippie

The Fats Cats and Mr. Something Something both put on great sets last night! The show was overall under attended, I guess there was a lot of stuff going on last night :( The people that were there though were really diggin in. On the whole I didn't actually recognize that many of the Fat Cats songs so I'm guess a lot of them were new. They sounded great, and there were a few old favourites including a sick 2001 jam.

I got a few photos for anyone who is interested. www.jamaholic.com/photos

sweet shots...

what settings you using on the A70 to get those?

no flash i assume. 400 iso i imagine. the moving man dude? manual?

i have serious problems taking shots in low light conditions (the drawbacks of a camera under a grand).

seems like your getting the hang of it quite quickely.

Steve

Steve - Yeah I'm staring to finally get the hand of how this camera works. Definitely a learning curve. For most of those shots I had the camera set to 400 iso, no flash. The white balance was "tungsten", I find that takes a lot of the extra red out that I sometimes get with band lighting. Also I had the metering set to "evaluative" which I think should grab the brights and the darks then try to find something in the middle so it's not over/under exposed. A couple of the pictures I took using the running man setting, but those ones weren't quite as good. I also tried a night setting, but shutter was too slow on that one, this can be a great setting for artistic shots though. That's about it I guess. I took 18 in total, 9 were usable. Which isn't too bad I guess, most of the ones I through out were just because stuff was cut out of the frame. I guess that's what I get for hitting the pipe before I shoot. :o

As far as metering goes... I'm assuming you have the option, although maybe it is a feature of the A80. On the function menu, one of the options is for metering, which takes a reading of the available light, to determine the shutter speed. So using "Evaluative" gives a reading based on overal light, so in my pictures you can see the bright spots are a little overexposed, and the dark spots are a little under exposed. Another option is "spot", which will take a reading from the center of the frame. This could be useful for closeups and when shooting an area where the lighting is all similar. The other option is "center weighted average", I'm not exactly sure how this differs and I can't find my manual right now.